Day in the Life: Phil Sletten ’11 & Garrett Fortin ’11

12:36 a.m. – Phil takes break from reading in Noyce to check the BBC News website. Garrett, in dorm room, puts the coffee on.

1:41 a.m. – Phil returns to dorm room. Garrett, still awake, makes new pot of coffee. They have brief conversation about new developments in the Sri Lankan civil war.

1:53 a.m. – Phil goes to sleep.

??? a.m. – Garrett sips some coffee and goes to sleep (he doesn’t pay attention to time).

8:00 a.m. – Garrett promptly awakens to his alarm, drinks more of last night’s coffee.

8:15 a.m. – Phil’s alarm goes off, he snoozes it and goes back to sleep.

8:21 a.m. – Phil’s alarm goes off, he stumbles out of room and asks Garrett what happened in the world overnight. Garrett checks Google News and complains about commercial media while sipping coffee.

8:36 a.m. – Phil grabs the New York Times and glances at it over breakfast. Garrett opens a bag of mints for breakfast.

8:57 a.m. – Phil and Garrett both go to class.

11:51 a.m. – Phil stops at science library to avoid lunchline crowds by checking the BBC News website, MSNBC, Al Jazeera, and his e-mail. Garrett goes back to the dorm and drops a mint in some coffee before drinking it.

(circa) 1:50 p.m. – Phil gets back to room, checks MSNBC, NPR, CNN (international edition only), BBC News (news bulletin and 1 minute news summary), and Al Jazeera. Garrett just refreshes Google news, makes a pot of coffee, and finishes a bag of mints.

2:37 p.m. – Garrett and Phil stop reading news articles and, while attempting to read their required texts, banter about the GDP forecast for the German economy in 2009.

3:59 p.m. – Garrett and Phil stop talking about the German economy and the German Social Democratic Party and start working. Garrett opens a new bag of mints.

5:29 p.m. – Garrett and Phil watch PBS news in Clark lounge. Garrett sips coffee.

6:02 p.m. – Garrett goes to Vegan Co-op at an undisclosed, roving location while Phil braves the dining hall crowds.

7:12 p.m. – Phil checks BBC, CNN-Int’l, and Al Jazeera for new news before posting the news summary on Facebook. Phil then gets ready to go to Noyce before asking Garrett about the recent Fortis split. Garrett begins an overview of what he knows about Fortis.

8:10 p.m. – Phil goes to Noyce, Garrett (surrounded by coffee mugs and mint wrappers) prays to miraculously speak Spanish, which hasn’t worked yet.