Spotlight: Diana Seer

Photo by Tela Ebersole

Diana Seer ’15, from Saukville, Wisconsin, raced the 3000-meter steeplechase in 11:53.31, the second-fastest time in school history, this past Saturday at the Cornell College Invitational in Ash Park Stadium.

Photo by Tela Ebersole

How does it feel to chase down the school record?

Coming into Grinnell, I didn’t know where I would be in terms of my position on the team. I thought I would be in the middle, you know, rack up some points for the team, but not really do anything of importance. Getting the #2 record really makes you feel good about yourself, like you can accomplish things. I actually have had the second-fastest time for a while, but I broke my own record again. There’s a big gap between number two and number one. Right now I’m just looking ahead, knocking down those seconds, getting closer and closer until I can be number one.

What are some of your hopes for the rest of the season?

I really hope our team can place well at the conference meet at the end of the year. As far as individual goals, obviously I want to beat the #1 fastest time. I don’t know if I can; there’s still a lot of time in between, but to just keep getting faster and stronger is the main goal.

Why do you think this race went especially well?

There was another girl, who is comparable to me in terms of speed, but she went out a little too fast and I kept my ground and I recognized that she was going to go too fast. I held myself steady and listened to my body and I went out strong. The weather was really nice, too. I had previously done the steeple at the Florida meet and it was really hot and that really tires you out.

Do you run any other events? Which do you like best?

I run the 5k outdoor and possibly the 1500. I like the steeple best; it’s really fun. People think you’re crazy for jumping over things and jumping into water and running almost two miles while doing it all. It makes you feel kind of powerful and strong. We use a term on our team: the women runners are called beasts, like, “Oh, you’re such a beast! You’re in beast mode!” You feel like a total beast when you run it. I like that feeling.

What is your favorite snack at the Grille?

I don’t come to the Grille that often because I don’t do the whole Dining Dollars thing, but if I had to choose, I do love mozzarella sticks. I don’t get them that often, but if a friend gets some, I’m like, “Can I sneak one?” They’re so good.

What is the most interesting class you’ve taken so far?

I really like a class I’m currently in, just as a fun class, Intro to GWSS. It’s not my major, but it’s a topic I wanted to know more about and the professor is really great and the discussions are really interactive.

What are your tentative plans for after Grinnell?

I have two years left, so… eventually graduate school. I’m a psychology major, so definitely something with that, counseling for sure, maybe traveling and doing volunteer work. I’m not going abroad, so I definitely want to get some travel in.

-compiled by Kelly Pyzik