Track and field on fast track to success

Athena Carlson ’15 pole vaults at practice this week. Photo by John Brady

By Gabe Singer 

singerju@grinnell.edu

The Pioneer men and women’s track teams are out of the gates and off to an impressive start this season. For many members of the team, fitness preparation for the spring began during the winter indoor season, prepping the team physically and mentally for outdoor competition. The preseason-training period culminated in a weeklong training trip to Daytona, Florida over spring break. That week in the Everglade state provided the team with an opportunity to train in nice warm weather, build camaraderie and improve team dynamics. These are all important in the transition from the indoor to the outdoor season.

Athena Carlson ’15 pole vaults at practice this week.
Photo by John Brady

An intense and productive first week of practice built on the momentum that began in preseason.

“[It was] obvious which folks had gone to Florida and those that had trained over spring break,” said Coach Evelyn Freeman, head coach of the women’s track and field team.

However, commitment and focus set the tone of the week for all athletes.

The team garnered good results from members competing in events across the board at the Cornell College Invitational last weekend. On the men’s side, sprinter and jumper Gus Fulgoni ’15 won the high jump and came just shy of setting a new school record. Other champions for the men were Nate Kolacia ’16 in the 1500-meter run, Jake Lindstrom ’14 in the pole vault and Gavin Warnock ’14 in the triple jump.

For the women, Diana Seer ’15 won the 3000-meter steeplechase with the second-fastest time in school history. Also taking first-place for the women was the 4×400 relay team comprised of Sarah Jensen ’15, Christine Ajinjeru ’14, Eloise Miller ’15 and Isabelle Miller ’13, who bested their closest opponent by more than 3 seconds.

The performance of the Pioneers this past weekend demonstrated the talent, cohesion and potential that define this year’s men’s and women’s teams alike. Freeman commented that this team was “particularly close-knit” compared to previous years.

Runners are also expanding their repertoire.

“People [are] doing events that they don’t normally do,” Fulgoni said.

This is a testament to a flexibility and depth that will be pivotal to the team’s success considering the length and taxing nature of the season and injuries that team members may consequently incur.

Fulgoni added that the team has set some time aside to hash out their goals for the season.

“[People are] pushing the envelope, remaining humble and diligent in approach and using each meet and practice as a stepping stone to the next,” Fulgoni said.

The ethos of this year’s team and the strides that the Pioneers have made within the first week of their season hint at the prospect of a record-breaking and thoroughly exciting season. Though their goals and expectations are ambitious, they appear fully equipped with the talent and fervor to make them a reality over the remainder of the season. The Grinnell Pioneers will compete at the Jim Duncan Invitational at Drake University in Des Moines this weekend.

1. “[The team is] looking to improve conference standings [and ultimately] to qualify a group of individuals and potentially even a relay team for nationals,” Freeman said.