Continued student participation needed to meet Title IX goals

I have just finished my fourth month as interim Title IX Coordinator. In this role, I have had the responsibility of reviewing policies and procedures related to sexual misconduct, and developing preventative measures. In the process, I have also had the privilege of learning from this community what it expects of itself. I have come to see that there is a shared concern about alcohol abuse and sexual misconduct and a shared energy to prevent them. The students have taken the lead in devising possible solutions, and the Task Force on Safety, Responsibility and Prevention is working to implement changes. You may have already noticed some of these changes at Harris parties. We are keeping Harris open until 3 a.m. and providing food so that people can stay after the dance, meet up with friends, and take a little time to decide what they will do next.

Students have the best sense about what is happening at Grinnell. To focus our resources and efforts where they will do the most good, we need to understand the experience of students. In order to gain this fuller and more accurate understanding of the students’ perspective and experiences, right after break, the Task Force will be sending a survey to every student. All submissions will be anonymous. As one of the students said about the survey in last week’s advisory committee meeting, “This is the first step. We can’t really combat a problem without understanding it.”

If only a small group takes the survey we will get a skewed picture of Grinnell and then possibly put our efforts in the wrong places. So, please take the survey and encourage your friends to take it as well. This is a general survey about sexual culture and conduct. It is not geared toward a particular experience or type of person. We will report the survey results to the student body and continue the conversation informed by what we learn in the process.

One of the strongest elements of Self-Governance is that students look out for each other. Students don’t hesitate to call for help when they see another student in trouble. I believe that this impulse is a crucial part of keeping individuals and the community safe; it’s vital that we continue and strengthen this element of our campus culture.

Thank you to the many students, faculty, and staff who continue to participate in conversations and offer solutions. If you would like to discuss ideas for making Grinnell a safer place, please email me or join us at the next advisory meeting.

If you have concerns about sexual misconduct, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Angela Voos [voos]

Interim Title IX Coordinator

641-269-3024

1121 Park St. (Nollen House)

Here are other resources available to you:

Campus Safety and Security 641-269-4600

RLC on call

Grinnell advocates (confidential)

Campus security officer

SHACS Nurses and Counselors 641-269-3230 (confidential)

Campus Chaplain/Rabbi (confidential) 641-269-4981

Title IX Coordinator 641-269-3024

Dean of Students 641-269-3714

Grinnell Police 641-236-2670

Grinnell Regional Medical Center 641-236-2380

Domestic Violence Alternatives (confidential) 800-779-3512

Title IX: No person in the United States shall on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance…sexual harassment of students can constitute discrimination prohibited by Title IX.