Students set the stage with One Acts

ZOE RODRIGUEZ ’13

What is your play Sticks and Stones about? 

It’s a meeting between a lawyer and his new client, a cop who’s shot a black teenager. It was written right after the race riots in L.A. It escalates really dramatically between these two characters as they try to reach a common goal.

Why did you choose this particular One Act?

It stood out as having dialogue that felt more real to me and that was emotionally very powerful. I thought it was a very hard-hitting play and something that I would like to act in, so I thought it would be fun for other people.

What should people take away from the One Acts?

I hope they would take away a question from it, I hope it will leave them wondering and thinking maybe about what it means to be right or wrong or can you do the right thing for the wrong reasons.

QUINNITA BELLOWS ’15

What is your play called and what is it about? 

It’s called Sustained and it’s by Eric Kaiser. It’s about this couple that has a lot of repression that they are just holding on to. They wake up everyday, they drink, take amphetamines or whatever—they just both have dual addictions and therefore can’t get each other out of that. They perpetuate that every day, so it’s pretty interesting.

What do you think is special about One Acts? 

It seems more like an ensemble, like a community effort from Grinnellians. A lot of people who are in it don’t have that much acting experience as opposed to the directors…so it’s nice to see a bunch of people, even [first-years], getting into the One Acts. It is just really fun for everything.

KATE WHITMAN ’14

What is your play called and can you give me a short summary?  

It’s called Light and it’s by a playwright named Jenny Mahoney. It’s about two women…and they get together after a long time to do this strange cult ritual. She wants to give her friend some of this new spiritual light she has. It’s…a bit more dark because a part of this ritual is actually forgetting your past and your friends. So, at the same time she is giving her friend light she is also telling her she is about to leave and forget her and it’s about the final moment of connection they have.

Why did you choose the play?

I read it and I really miss my best friend. It’s a sweet, powerful play about two women and the strength of their friendship. I wanted to do a play for my best friend and I wanted people to think about their friends and how important friendship was when they saw it.

MARY ADAMS ’15

Can you give me the name of your play and what it’s about? 

It’s called The Individuality of Street Lamps, by Anna Gorish. Basically, it’s about an ex-girlfriend and boyfriend. The boyfriend has recently gotten married to someone else. He comes to visit her and they try to act casual. As the play progresses you get more of their past and more of the tension between them. You realize that maybe things aren’t quite as clear as they seem.

Why did you choose this play?  

It’s very simple, but I think it has a lot of emotional truth that everyone can relate to. It’s just kind of bittersweet and really beautiful in that.

What is special about One Acts for you?   

They’re usually a lot more engaging to the audience. I think it’s really becoming more and more popular just because it’s easy and it’s fun.

-compiled by Carolin Scholz