Letter to the editor: SGA Cabinet recommends more discussion

At the start of this semester, the College began assessing the sustainability of its financial policies. Our endowment continues to grow, but we cannot depend on it alone. The current path is not sustainable—a fact that worries many of us, as it affects the future of Grinnell’s financial resources. A part of this future is our need-blind financial aid policy. Along with many other students who have voiced their concerns about this issue, we want to protect need-blind aid. It embodies what we love about Grinnell—namely, that it provides opportunities to students of all backgrounds. A student’s financial situation should not determine whether or not he/she/ze gets to attend Grinnell.

You have a say in this process. You can help make sure need-blind aid remains available to future generations of students. In order to participate constructively and engage in the dialogue, we all must educate ourselves for this difficult discussion. In order to effectively represent what Grinnellians stand for, SGA will be holding several forums where everyone can voice their opinion. To make these forums productive, respectful and insightful, we encourage students to seek resources and information available on the College website. Educating ourselves on this issue will lead to a more powerful student voice.

Being part of these discussions at the institutional level is a privilege that students at many other institutions don’t have.  We strongly urge you to make the time to attend these forums and make your voice heard. We hope to have one forum per week from now until the first week of December. Look out for the dates and times of these forums, as they will most likely be held in JRC 101 or 209.

Thank you for your participation and patience throughout this process. Please feel free to visit us in our SGA Offices on the 2nd Floor of the JRC to discuss any aspect of this as we move forward.

Sincerely,

SGA Cabinet