Safety first

Dear SHIC,
How long does it take for sperm to die after
ejaculation?
-Just keep swimming

Dear Swimming,
Even though your little swimmers are teeny tiny, they’re pretty resilient. Outside of the vagina, sperm can live up to a few hours. However, when ejaculation occurs inside of a woman, sperm can live up to 5 days within her warm cervical mucus or upper genital tract. Yum. Therefore, even if a woman is not ovulating at the time of copulation, she can still become impregnated almost a week later. Better to be safe than sorry, and use a condom, and/or alternative forms of birth control. Just remember, not all birth control methods prevent sexually transmitted infections.
And while we’re talking about water sports, be careful of the Michael Phelps sperm out there, and wait 30 minutes after you eat before “swimming” together. You don’t want to get cramps mid-moan.
Love,
SHIC

Dear SHIC,
It burns when I pee. What do I do?
-Call 911?

Dear Shorty,
So you say it burns when you pee…
There may be something wrong, but not necessarily. If this has only happened one or two times, then you’re likely just dehydrated. However, if the problem persists you may want to seek medical help.
Pain or burning while urinating is a symptom of a couple different STIs. You should consider getting tested for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Trichomoniasis (“Trich”). The good news is that these are all bacterial infections, so they’re treatable with antibiotics.
If it is not an STI, you might have a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). UTIs can also be cured with antibiotics. Another possibility, just for ladies, is a yeast infection, which can be treated with over-the-counter medicines. One way to avoid getting UTIs is to pee before and after sexual activity involving your genitalia. Make it a fun relationship builder by peeing together! Yay bathroom bonding!
Dehydration, STIs, UTIs … it’s a pretty long list of possibilities. Nothing too scary, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. If the burning continues, talk to a medical professional. SHACS and Central Iowa Family Planning are both great resources. Not sure how to get in touch with them? Come visit the SHIC and we’ll hook you up! You will be peeing pleasurably in no time!
Love,
SHIC

Dear SHIC,
What’s the most overlooked aspect of sexual health?
-Just Curious

Dear Curious,
Funny you should mention this. We were just mulling it over in the SHIC office located on Main 1st.
One really important aspect of sexual health that is often overlooked is how to be safe during oral sex. Most people think that it’s just licking and/or sucking. However, oral sex can lead to many undesirable infections, such as Gonorrhea, Syphilis and Chlamydia of the throat. It is possible to contract oral Herpes from contact with genital Herpes. HIV/AIDS, HPV, and Hepatitis A, B and C can also be transmitted through oral sex, but at a much lower rate.
You are probably wondering, “SHIC! How do I protect myself from all of these STIs?” The answer: put a rubber on it. While it may not seem sexy, using a condom or dental dam is the best way to prevent getting STIs. Remember as Anna is oft to say, “I love having sex, but I’d rather get some head.” So put a dental dam, from SHIC, on it. Happy sucking!
Love,
SHIC

The Sexual Health Information Center is a student-run resource center located on the first floor of Main Hall. SHIC offers confidential one-on-one peer education sessions and also sells condoms (more than 20 kinds!), dental dams, lube, pregnancy tests and more for affordable prices. We’re open 5-9 pm Monday-Thursday and 4-6 pm Friday-Sunday. Email us your questions at [shic]!