Letter to the Editor: SGA clarifies plans

Dear Grinnellians,

We, SGA Cabinet, would like to apologize for the incorrect information that was printed in last week’s issue of the S&B due to a gap in communication within Cabinet. Here is a brief clarification of the situation regarding SGA’s financial plans for the semester:

Money that is not spent by the end of the fiscal year gets moved to a ‘reserve’ account each year. Over the course of several years, this amount has built up, and is currently being wasted by only earning a very small percentage of interest each year.

Therefore, a preliminary idea we are considering is to invest a part of this reserve amount in the Grinnell College endowment, by adding to an SGA fund that already exists within the college’s endowment. This investment would add to the payout that SGA already receives annually from our existing investment with the endowment, thereby allowing us to increase our annual operating budget so as to better serve your needs.

You may already know this, but SGA funds student groups on campus, community service projects, brings films and concerts, supports [weekend] and funds your SAs, HWCs and Senators amongst a number of other things. So come make the most of it!

We are here to do our best to support you, advocate for you, and listen to your needs. Please do not hesitate to contact any of us (you can look us up on db!).

Self-governing love,
SGA Cabinet