Teengirl brings Fantasy to Gardner

By Sid Dhananjay 

dhananja@grinnell.edu

Along with openers Gatekeeper and Juxwl, electronic music group Teengirl Fantasy brings their talent back to Grinnell this Friday. On tour for the release of their second LP Tracer, Teengirl Fantasy is a Brooklyn-based duo signed to R&S records.

The band is made up of recent Oberlin graduates Nick Weiss and Logan Takahashi.

“[They] artfully meld pop vocals with early techno and IDM instrumentation, [creating] a very distinct sound,” said Concerts Chair Pooj Padmaraj ‘13.

In addition to showcasing their exciting new release, the Concerts Committee decided to bring Teengirl Fantasy to Grinnell, “because they did not get to finish their set last time they played in Gardner.” The duo were interrupted during their set in the spring semester while opening for The Claw and are back this time as the headliner act.

According to the Grinnell Concerts blog, “Tracer moves away from its predecessor’s heavier Art of Noise influences to create a somewhat more disjointed and nuanced listening experience.” Some highlights from their new release include “Do It” and “Motif”, recommended by the Concerts Chair himself.

Opening for them will be Gatekeeper, an experimental electronic duo, known for their intense audiovisual live shows.
“[Their] release “Exo” was one of my favorite of the summer,” Padmaraj said.

In collaboration with Thunder Horse, a live visual production collective, their set looks to be an energetic one.

“Gatekeeper perfectly meshed the grating sounds of industrial acid house with samples from the post-web 2.0 era to create a terrifying post-industrial soundscape fit to score the demise of the human race,” Padmaraj said.

Local artist Juxwl from Ames will be opening before Gatekeeper. Catch them all in action this Friday, Sept. 7, starting at 9 p.m. in Gardner Lounge.