Poweshiek County Public Health rolls out COVID-19 booster doses in Grinnell

COVID-19 booster shots are available to eligible individuals at Walmart and Hy-Vee. Graphic by Hannah Agpoon.

Poweshiek County Public Health (PCPH), Hy-Vee and Walmart supermarkets, and several local clinics in Poweshiek County are now offering booster doses for three COVID-19 vaccines: Moderna, Pfizer, and Johnson & Johnson.

On Oct. 20, the Food and Drug Administration announced their approval of the use of COVID-19 booster doses for all three vaccines. The Center for Disease Control followed suit, announcing their approval on Oct. 21.

The Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 booster dose was approved for individuals ages 18 and older who received their primary vaccine of Johnson & Johnson at least two months prior.

Both the Moderna and Pfizer COVID-19 booster doses were approved for individuals ages 65 and older, as well as for individuals 18 years and older who have underlying health conditions, reside in long-term care settings, and/or work or live in high-risk settings. To be eligible individuals must have received their second dose of either the Moderna or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine at least six months prior.

“Research shows us that vaccine immunity wanes over time, so it is important to get the booster vaccine to best protect yourself and others from the COVID-19 virus,” wrote Shauna Callaway, director of PCPH, in an email to the S&B.

The FDA and CDC also approved the mix-and-match use of different COVID-19 vaccines specifically regarding the booster dose. Eligible individuals can receive a booster dose of any one of the three COVID-19 vaccines regardless of the type of primary vaccination they received.

Upon visiting the PCPH building for a scheduled appointment, individuals are required to wear a mask that covers their nose and mouth while indoors. Documentation verifying the identity of individuals is required to register for in-person vaccination appointments.

In addition to booster doses, PCPH is still offering all three COVID-19 vaccines for those who are hoping to get vaccinated.

“Public Health encourages all people with questions about whether the vaccine is right for them and their families to contact their primary care provider and seek professional, individualized medical guidance,” said Callaway.

In order to receive a COVID-19 booster dose from PCPH, individuals are required to make an appointment. Walk-in vaccinations will not be accepted. To schedule a vaccine appointment, community members should call (641) 236-2385 any time Monday-Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Appointments cannot be made via voicemail message.

Grinnell students who believe they are eligible to receive a booster dose from PCPH should follow this same procedure to secure an appointment.

Appointments are also required to receive a booster dose from Hy-Vee and can be made online.

Appointments for a booster dose from Walmart can be made online as well. Walmart also reported they are accepting walk-up vaccination appointments at locations nationwide for COVID-19 vaccines and booster shots.