Dan Agnew defeats challenger Kamal Hammouda in Grinnell mayoral race

Dan Agnew is re-elected for a third term as Grinnell mayor. Photo from Grinnell’s city website.

Incumbent Dan Agnew has defeated challenger Kamal Hammouda in the 2021 race for Grinnell mayor.  

Agnew, who served two two-year terms as mayor after running unopposed in 2017, received over twice as many votes as Hammouda, with 68 percent to Hammouda’s 32 percent. 

Hammouda, local chef and restaurant owner at Relish, ran on a platform of diversity, labor force revitalization and addressing food insecurity. In 2020, Hammouda also ran unsuccessfully as an Independent for Iowa House of Representatives Seat 76.  

Agnew’s goals for the city include demolishing a deteriorating building at 11 11th Avenue to replace it with an apartment complex and continuing plans for anti-bias training for all city staff, which started November 1 after over a year of committee training and planning. In addition, he is working on a long-term plan to create a community ambulance service to replace the city’s current privately contracted third-party 911 response system after its contract expires in three years. Agnew says he would like to work with the Chamber of Commerce and the College to “keep Grinnell a very viable community.” 

Prior to his election in 2017, Agnew served as president and CEO of Grinnell Mutual Insurance for 19 years. His predecessor, Gordon Canfield, also worked at Grinnell Mutual before serving an 18-year tenure as mayor.  

As of 11:00 a.m., Nov. 3, Grinnell vote totals were unofficial, pending the election canvass by Poweshiek County auditor Missy Eilander. A full canvass will be conducted on Nov. 9.