Student involved in train accident

According to Vice-President of Student Affairs Houston Dougharty, at 6:25 p.m. on Thursday, March 18, Darwin Manning ’13 was involved in an accident with a train on campus north of 6th avenue, in which he suffered a severe injury to his right leg.

Manning was transported by ambulance to Grinnell Regional Medical Center, and soon after flown to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. As of 9 p.m., Manning was being treated in the hospital’s emergency room and was conscious and alert, according to the hospital and members of Student Affairs.

The Grinnell Police Department and Union Pacific Railroad police are investigating the accident. The Grinnell Police Department declined to comment, as the investigation is ongoing, and said they would release a press statement the morning of Friday, March 18.

The Grinnell College Office of Security will be assisting in the investigation, and declined to comment further.

Members of the Grinnell community who wish to send a card or other item to Darwin are encouraged to bring them to the Office of Student Affairs, located on the third floor of the Joe Rosenfield ’25 Center, and leave them at the front desk. Members of the Student Affairs will be traveling to and from Iowa City over Spring Break and will deliver anything left by community members for Darwin.