Students Speak: Walkin’ in a Winter Wonderland

“The best source of cold weather warmth is to get a cat and carry it around with you all the time to all your classes. [Also], they have these nice fuzzy undershirts you can get from Uniqlo.” – Ashton Aveling ’22

Brr! We’re two snowfalls into the long, cold Midwestern winter (polar vortex arrival TBD). Writer Sammie Stagg ’21 and photographer Ariel Richards ’23 asked six Grinnellians what they do to keep warm during the chilliest months of the year.

“When I’m walking, to forget about how cold it is, I listen to a song that gets me super hyped, or my favorite song, and that makes me forget that I’m, like, freezing.” – Gaby Aponte ’21
“My advice would be to wear lots of layers.”
– Sofie Hokanson ’22
“Don’t wear sandals or Birkenstocks.”
– Gelber Argueta ’20
“Wear a scarf, because the wind is really harsh and you should really cover up your face.”
– Mikoto Kobayashi ’20

“My advice is lots of hot chocolate and hot tea. You [can] get free hot water from the Grill. Also, the wellness lounge has this heated foot pad massager.”
– John Zbaracki ’20
“The best source of cold weather warmth is to get a cat and carry it around with you all the time to all your classes. [Also], they have these nice fuzzy undershirts you can get from Uniqlo.”
– Ashton Aveling ’22