Senior Issue 2024

Students Speak: Senior Recitals

Senior music students have the opportunity to perform a capstone of their four years of work. The S&B’s Jon Gomez and Sarina Lincoln caught up with some of these seniors.

“Singing has always been helpful to me when going through difficult times at Grinnell. It’s a venue for me to express my feelings and emotions. I don’t know for sure if I will have a chance to perform in a really good concert hall like this again. So, I will definitely miss being able to perform in front of friends and my host family.” – Saung Thuya ’19

“Singing is the only thing that I have been doing consistently at Grinnell. I’ve tried to study different things and change my major and stuff, but singing was always a part of my college life and something that I started doing seriously since I came to Grinnell. I am really happy that I was able to keep doing it and I definitely can see the improvements throughout the years like con- trolling my voice well, projecting my voice, and just being able to express myself.” – Mitsuki Fujio ’19

“I will miss my voice teacher. I will probably never again have a voice teacher who is as qualified as he is. I have had this same teacher for seven semesters now, so we have been able to develop a really good relationship and I’m going to miss him a lot. I just think that I grew a lot with him.” – Gemma Nash ’19

“It was a pretty cool experience because I knew it would be my last big performance at Grinnell, the last time that I would be able to perform classical percussion repertoire in Sebring-Lewis, so it was a big deal for me. … I will miss my routine of going to my lesson every week and just chatting with my instructor for the first ten minutes of every lesson.” – Sean O’ Reilly ’19