A Day in the Life: Leslie Bean ’13

Photograph by Sphie Fajardo.

6:45 a.m.—Cell phone alarm wakes me up on vibrate mode because the sound on my phone does not work. Quickly fall asleep again.
7:04 a.m.—Receive text from mother that reads, “Come now.”
7:20 a.m.—Go to the hotel my mother is staying at to eat breakfast with her before class.
8:30 a.m.—Class: Water, Development and the Environment. Apparently “hydrohegemony” is a word.
10:00 a.m.—Class: Introduction to American Studies. Brought the wrong notebook. Realize I lost my Saints pen in previous class. There is candy, so all is not lost.
10:50 a.m.—Go back to previous classroom to try to find pen. It is occupied by BIO-150, so I do not engage.
11:00 a.m.—Check e-mails, find out that 2 p.m. class was cancelled. Promise to be productive during that time. Update [plan] to tell people to meet my mother because she’s great.
11:15 a.m.—Sit in Grill with Mom and show her pictures from my work this past summer.
11:50 a.m.—Lunch in the D-Hall with Mom and friends.
12:30 p.m.—Give Mom directions to my aunt and uncle’s house and see her off at her car on her way to Kansas City.
1:00 p.m.—INTERNET.
2:00 p.m.—Start episode of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”. Realize that I will not be able to finish before my meeting. Damn.
2:30 p.m.—Meet with Astrid Henry [Associate Professor of Gender, Women’s and Sexuality Studies] to try to figure out my schedule for next semester.
3:00 p.m.—More Buffy.
4:15 p.m.—Skip work at GORP to go to the CERA Prescribed Burning Orientation. I cannot resist free food, so I eat lots of pizza.
5:45 p.m.—Find out I have been enlisted into a Quidditch team for the tournament. Make floormates watch video of my mother’s barbershop chorus. Try to do some readings.
6:30 p.m.—Dinner. Still full, but eat more anyway. Feel slightly ill.
7:00 p.m.—Try to do work in the Grill. It is obviously only marginally successful.
7:15 p.m.—Submit former G-Mon “Bi-Winning” to GoGo because I forgot to on Friday.
7:30 p.m.—Meeting with Water, Development and the Environment group for project. Find paper in literature.
8:38 p.m.—Try to log into my e-mail, but accidentally type [beanlesl] into Google. Google autofills as “beanless chili recipe.”
8:45 p.m.—Realize it is Halloween. Make plans to buy candy on sale tomorrow.
9:00 p.m.—Drag Show informational meeting in the SRC [Stonewall Resource Center]. Mini panic when we realize we have to come up with group names for our performances.
9:45 p.m.—Get to G-Mons meeting 45 minutes late. Discuss pros and cons of cuddling. Try to decide on what I will write about this semester.
10:30 p.m.—Drag show rehearsal. Start learning choreography and try to get our artistic vision onto stage.
11:30 p.m.—Reading/studying/general homework time/Grill Life.
Midnight—Grill closes. Still here. Wish I had gotten water from the spout before they closed the gate.
12:40 a.m.—Listen to “Miracles Happen” by Myra from the “Princess Diaries” soundtrack on repeat.
12:46 a.m.—GoGo submission accepted. MIRACLES HAPPEN.
1:00 a.m.—Return to room, remove pants. Much better.
1:25 a.m.—Bedtime. Close window most of the way so my room doesn’t get too cold in the middle of the night.