A Day in the Life: Brenna Ross ’13 (Grinnell-in-London)

6:45 a.m.—Pop out of bed and make a bowl of watery porridge and some strong coffee.

8:00 a.m.—Grab an apple and some carrots for the road and head out to walk to my first day at my internship at Circus Space.

9:00 a.m.—Realize I’m going to be obscenely early, so I find a bench to sit on and attempt to sketch some buildings and random dogs.

10:00 a.m.—I’m shown to my desk by my supervisor, Daisy, and begin a string of endless orientations.

11:45 a.m.—Learn the proper way to cross a room full of acrobats (get your bearing first, give everyone a wide berth and never, NEVER walk under someone on a trapeze.)

12:23 p.m.—Lunch! I spend most of my hour wandering around the neighborhood, getting the lay of the land and trying to find somewhere selling milkshakes. Finally I give up and get a smoothie and some pasta salad instead. Life is soo hard.

1:23 p.m.—Walk in on one of my officemates discussing space rental details with “The Apprentice.”

1:30 p.m.—Begin my first official project—consolidating five pages of contract details into the back of one page.

4:00 p.m.—Tea time! Homemade apple cake in the staff lounge with a middle-aged Irish hipster named Phillip who spends a great deal of time discussing the state of his courgettes (zucchinis) and parsnips.

5:30 p.m.—Finish formatting the letter and take a break to do some research on artistic directors with Daisy for an upcoming circus project a.k.a. we watch awesome YouTube videos.

6:00 p.m.—Leave my internship and walk straight to the theater to see “Betty Blue Eyes,” a musical about a 1940s British pig and the people who want to eat her.

7:00 p.m.—Realize I have been walking in the wrong direction for 15 minutes and power walk intensely in the opposite direction.

7:20 p.m.—Make it to the theater.

9:45 p.m.—Debate waiting outside the stage door to meet the cast, but the weather decides I really need to finish my theater review project. I turn up my collar and head back to my flat with my roommates.

10:30 p.m.—Pajama Time! Put on a pot of tea and munch on some more carrots while skimming my reading for Literature of Place in Great Britain. Apparently poor people were like rabbits in the 18th century.

11:00 p.m.—Skype with my family and get endlessly ridiculed for my pronunciation of the word “trapeze.”

11:45 p.m.—Discover new episodes of “How I Met Your Mother” and become significantly less productive.

1:30 a.m.—Finally finish my theatre review of “Top Girls” and flop into bed.