Day in the Life: Kelly Edgington

4:30 a.m.—Alarm goes off. Reach over, hit snooze and think, “Is it really time to get up already?”

4:40 a.m.—Alarm goes off again. Grrrr, still not wanting to get up. Hit snooze again.

4:50 a.m.— Alarm goes off again. As you can tell by now, I am not a morning person. Shut alarm off slowly, crawl out of bed and do some morning stretching.

5:50-5:55 a.m.—Head out the door with the hubby. Hubby drops me off at work. Give him a smooch ’n tell him I love him. Never forget to tell people you love them. 🙂

6:00 a.m.—Get work uniform on and get punched in.

DITL - Tela Ebersole
Kelly Edgington. Photograph by Tela Ebersole.

6:01-6:59 a.m.—Get DHall ready for the breakfast meal. Print student roster check-off list for breakfast and lunch. Check the 50+ emails I received from the day before and answer as many as I can before having to get the morning started.

7:00 a.m.—The doors open and students start entering for their delicious eggs to order.

7:10 a.m.—Start calling students who have not showed for work yet (they, too, are not morning people like me LOL).

7:10-10:00 a.m.—Talk with students, co-workers and make sure everything is going well in the DHall world. Take a morning break, text my hubby ’n check Facebook.

11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.—Deal with the DHall and make sure all is taken care of. Fill in any open spots that need tending to. Get things ready for students to do in the afternoon. I’m starting to get a little rumbly in my tummy towards 1:00 p.m.

1:00-1:30 p.m.—It’s lunch time and I’m so excited to sit down and take a breather and eat some grub. Chat with Sheryl [Ranfeld] or Jacob [Nerness] or just Facebook if I have no visitors at my lunch table.

2:00-4:00 p.m.—Varies day to day. It could be Star Performer meeting, Supervisor Meeting, payroll or answering emails. Some days it could be all of those.

4:00-5:00 p.m.—I usually walk home. Get home, take my dog Chuggers out, go for a walk with him or just play.

5:00-7:00 p.m.—Start the every-evening ritual with my husband Mike. “What are we having for dinner??” My answer always is “I will play the stupid game, what are we having for dinner.” If any family could figure this out let me know.

7:00-10:00 p.m.—Depending on the night, watch my favorite TV shows, Facebook, Pinterest, talk to my best friend in Pennsylvania on the phone and text my sister. RELAX.

10:00 p.m.—I start to contemplate the idea of going to sleep.

11:00 p.m.—I head to bed but this means nothing because I will still be awake at midnight. I also reflect on my day. Pick the positives and know most days I am blessed.

12:00 a.m.—Still awake, realize that I am not going to sleep and play some Candy Crush. Read an online book.

1:00-2:00 a.m.—Look at the time knowing I need to get to sleep before the alarm goes off at 4:30a.m. again. Good night.

My favorite part of my day is the quiet of the morning and talking with the students. My life is quite boring but really wouldn’t change it for anything.