[814] High, a mansion not too far away

A large white house with a porch larger than most campus dorm rooms, [814] High Street is home to Alexa Stevens, Devon Gamble, Joey Kathan, Kirsten Nelson and Sam Rosen (all ’15). Despite the fact that Gamble and Nelson are captains of the women’s frisbee team and Kathan is part of the men’s team, they are quick to make sure nobody is under the impression that [814] is the Frisbee House.

“There are a few defining features [of the house], such as the stove that doesn’t really work, specifically the backburners. Also, our kitchen is carpeted, which is kind of weird,” Rosen said.

Kathan was quick to chime in, saying, “What I love most about this house is just that everything is so large, the entire house—every room is huge, every living space as well. It’s definitely a house from a different era that has been somewhat poorly converted into student housing.”

The housemates of [814] High Street meet on the staircase after finding each other with ‘the call’. Photo by Shadman Asif.
The housemates of [814] High Street meet on the staircase after finding each other with ‘the call’.
Photo by Shadman Asif.

“The house has got really good bones,” Nelson said, appropriately summarizing the multitude of assessments that were flying around the discussion.

The housemates are anxiously waiting to celebrate Halloween in the traditional way. “We’re going to be carving pumpkins the next couple of days!” Stevens said. “Pumpkin picking! We’re going to go pumpkin picking!” added Nelson.

Because the house is a little farther away from campus, they expect to be visited by trick-or-treaters throughout the night.  “We’re going to make a ‘We Have Candy’ sign!” Rosen excitedly said while Stevens guaranteed that this would not be in a creepy, “Come to the white van, kids,” way. A short moment of collective reflection on that idea was followed by Nelson’s declaration: “We can’t make that sign!”

Along with trick-or-treaters, the house often sees professors out and about, as many instructors call the houses around [814] home.

“Good community relations! That’s [814]!” Nelson proclaimed, emphasizing the importance of the brackets in the name.

As the year progressed, the five have found themselves in continual good company, and they have grown even closer together. 

“It’s just a really amazing, safe living environment,” Gamble said. “We’re just really comfortable with each other,” Nelson added and at this point in the conversation, the group went on to demonstrate the ‘house call,’ which has become one of their favorite aspects about the house. Whenever one of them comes home, they make the call, which resembles a turkey’s hunting cry, to alert other members that they have returned home.

“Otherwise, we would like go on about our life with no knowledge that anyone else was around—it’s a huge house!” Rosen said.

In addition to the lively community at home, the house ventures out to campus every Wednesday night and attends Pub Quiz, claiming the team name, “I don’t even like milk.” Not surprisingly, the house has a good story to go behind the name.

“At our first house meeting, we were deciding what kind of milk to buy communally,” began Nelson. “And I was like, ‘I don’t even like milk!’” explained Gamble. 

From the weekly family dinners and meetings to the unique house call, everything about this group of friends living in extreme spatial luxury points to a wonderfully harmonious living environment, in spite of the occasional argument about the difference between two percent and one percent milk. Just remember, [814] is NOT the Frisbee House.

Additional reporting by Max Mindock ’15.