KDIC Crawl groovily introduces: Psychedelicatessen

Every Monday night from 8-9pm, Tad Boehmer ’12 puts a new spin on old music.  An only child from Champagne-Urbana, Illinois, Boehmer grew up listening to psychedelic music from the sixties and seventies and now has a show on KDIC to exhibit his old-school style, entitled, “The Psychedelicatessen.”

Tad Boehmer ’12 works the mic on his radio show, “The Psychedelicatessen,” which airs 60’s and 70’s tunes from 8-9p.m. each Monday night. Photograph by Roni Finkelstein

“A lot of these artists were signed to major labels, but I try to play the things you wouldn’t have necessarily heard on Top-40 radio, or whatever the equivalent was then,” Boehmer said. “Things that are over produced or were done to make money, I’m not as interested in as these things that have a lot of character.”

Boehmer began his radio show during his first semester at Grinnell in 2008.  Taking a year off from KDIC during the ’10-’11 academic year, the “LSDj” is happy to be back on the air.  Boehmer’s friend from home, who is an avid record collector, inspired the show’s name.

“[My friend] is what I aspire to be in fifteen years.  He has a giant record collection and he knows all the stuff and all the movies from the time period.  He has a pop culture museum in his house of sixties and seventies stuff,” Boehmer said. “I just wrote [to] him and asked what a good name for a show would be and he wrote back, ‘the Psychedelicatessen’ because its kind of like I’m serving up Psychedelia to people.”

Boehmer attributes much of his growth as a radio host to the current KDIC station managers and their initiatives to make a more cohesive station.

“Daniel [Kisslinger ‘14] and Jordan [Bell-Masterson ’12] do a great job with their positions and everything just keeps getting better.  Last week, we just started doing podcasting, which I never would have dreamed would happen,” Boehmer said.

The Psychedelicatessen is in line with Boehmer’s general attitude.  As a Classics major, the senior has his mind on the past and is always looking for new perspectives on it.  By exploring his favorite era through music, spoken word, commercials, and trailers on the air, Boehmer shares his love for the past with the Grinnell community.

“I think I’ve always got a mind on what’s come before in order to go and to live in the present.  [I like] to know what has happened before, in order to live now and think about the future. Music-wise and culturally, I think, ‘what influenced what to make it how it is?” Boehmer said.

Interested readers should tune in every Monday night from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m.