The Scarlet & Black

The Independent Student News Site of Grinnell College

The Scarlet & Black

The Scarlet & Black

Seeds to grow a brighter future in Grinnell

By Eric Mistry 

mistryer@grinnell.edu

Imagine Grinnell, a non-profit foundation on a mission “to improve quality of life in Grinnell, support a healthy environment, and compliment local economic development efforts” (according to an emailed statement) is hosting a seed sale to benefit the Grinnell Community Garden. Themed packages of heirloom seeds are being sold for ten dollars apiece and include four varieties of seeds.

Why buy heirloom seeds? Jordan Scheibel ‘10, one of the Community Garden’s original founders and a member of Imagine Grinnell explained their versatility.

“For the home gardener, heirlooms make more sense. They taste better, there’s more variety, and they are more interesting,” Scheibel said. “With hybrids, there’s about two to three to choose from; with heirlooms, there’s a lot more range.”

He also noted that heirloom seeds can be harvested and replanted, as opposed to hybrids that need to be replanted each year.

The different packages include “Big Salad Bowl” (a lettuce mixture, Isis Candy Cherry tomatoes, French Breakfast Radishes, and Bushy Cucumbers), “Container Magic” (Silvery Fir Tree Tomato, Swiss Chard Five Color Silverbeet, Empress of India Nasturtium, and Purple Dark Opal Basil), “Kids Favorites” (Two Inch Strawberry Popcorn, a Sunflower Mixture, Purple Podded Pole Bean, and Moon & Stars Watermelon) and “Pizza Party” (jimmy Nardello’s Pepper, Genovese Basil, Italian Heirloom Tomato, and Greek Oregeno.)

40% of the proceeds will go to Imagine Grinnell and the Community Garden and the other 60% to Seed Savers to support their seed preservation work. Seeds can be purchased through February 20th and will be delivered by mid-March.

“We’re encouraging people to order through our website at imaginegrinnell.org,” Scheibel said. “While this fundraiser may not raise enough to make the Community Garden self-reliant, it brings us closer to a sustainable future.”

 

Leave a Comment
More to Discover
Donate to The Scarlet & Black
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

All The Scarlet & Black Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *