Devour extravagant dessert

With Hell Week successfully vanquished and just a few finals standing between Grinnell students and the winter holidays, a celebration is needed. This coming Tuesday, the Dining Hall will host its annual Dessert Extravaganza during dinner as part of its “Foods of the World” series of special events.

Terry Anderson, Pastry Chef, prepares a decoration for the Dining Hall's Dessert Extravaganza. Photograph by Eric Mistry.

Each year, the Dining Services staff creates a collection of delectable desserts for the students to enjoy. The event is a great way for the staff to show the students how much they care, according to Dick Williams, Director of Dining Services.

“The staff really gets satisfaction by seeing how happy the students are to see [the huge collection of desserts],” Williams said.

Indeed, the dessert selection will be vast. Staff members were invited to contribute ideas to the extravaganza.

“If there was a particular item the staff member wanted to make, like a family recipe, then they make that,” Williams said.

The list of desserts includes Norwegian lefse, gingerbread people, Oreo truffles, pretzel rods, peanut brittle, orange cranberry cupcakes, baklava, biscotti, diabetic candy, fudge, toffee and more. Williams himself plans to target the chocolate items.

“I’m a chocoholic,” he declared.

So, this Tuesday evening, come into the Dining Hall and devour some desserts. Don’t forget to thank the staff for their gift of great, homemade food. Also, don’t worry about eating too many desserts.

“We hold this event on a Tuesday, and the nutritionist is here Monday and Wednesday, so we’re good!” Williams joked.