Annabelle’s Attic

Annabelle’s Attic is the biggest of the three consignment shops located on the same block of Main Street. Large display windows set this shop apart on the busy retail corridor, and their whimsical design reflects the eclectic mood of this store at 914 Main St.

Owner Norma Rozendaal, former owner of Phase 2, has spent years perfecting her consignment business model.
“When I got this store, it was larger,” said Norma Rozendaal. “I just wanted to include all of things that I would want to find in a small store.”

Donna Fraker sorts through a newly arrived box of scarves at Annabelle's Attic on Tuesday afternoon.

Newly opened in January of 2008, the store claims to be a “Consignment Shop for the Whole Family.” This is easily confirmed by the amazing variety of merchandise. The large store sells jewelry, clothing, coffee, knick-knacks, movies, books, furniture and even shoes. Rozendaal makes an effort to stock some new items as well, and to respond to requests from customers for certain items.

“It’s about people not wanting to have to go to the big city for a small gift. [This] is a store where you can totally do that,” said Rozendaal.

For those looking to clean out their closets and sell extra clothing items, it’s important to note that Annabelle’s Attic keeps 60 percent of the sale, while the consigner receives 40 percent. The store also offers cash for select items. Rozendaal is very proud of the relationships she maintains with her consigners—all of them receive a discount on any item in the store.

Like many of the retailers on Main St, Rozendaal also emphasizes how valuable it is for customers to shop at all of the stores in downtown Grinnell, even including her competitors.

“If someone comes in to look around and they don’t find anything, I make sure they know about the consignment shop next door,” she said.

Whether you’re looking for old or new, or simply trying to trade in some surplus garments for cash, Annabelle’s Attic offers it all.