Horoscopes: How to ask for help

Ms. Constellation Prize, Contributing Writer

I have always had a real affinity for Libras and what Libra season represents. Yes, I’m a Libra Moon, so I am biased, but who doesn’t love the fall air permeating through campus and the fallen leaves flooding the walk up to Burling? Fall is the feeling of being home, settling in and snuggling up. Libras embody all these warm and fuzzy feelings. 

Libra season started on Sept. 23, which happens right after the September equinox (Sept. 22 at 8:03 p.m.). The equinox is the day when there are 12 hours of day and night around the world. The September equinox marks the start of autumn. These two shifts in season create a wonderful opportunity to start fresh, reset and reevaluate. 

Each sign has generally positive traits associated with it, but people who have sun signs can also practice those traits to a fault. For example, Libras are led by a desire for harmony and peace, but they can prioritize finding peace rather than healing or finding a solution. Sometimes conflict is okay! 

Spend some time focusing on how these “positive traits” could actually be holding you back. For many, these are hard to see. They are called blind spots for a reason: we don’t know how to fix them. But it’s important to ask for help when our shortcomings start to affect us. Seek support from people around you who have different signs. Keep your sights set on finding comfort and love this autumn.

During this season, prepare for winter hibernation by channeling your inner Libra. Even if you don’t have one in your chart, you are impacted by where the sun is, regardless of if it’s in your chart, because it saturates the environment around you! 

Gather new relationships like our squirrel friends gather nuts. Buy a new blanket and rent your favorite movie (maybe with a new friend!). Take joy in relishing these cozy experiences after that horrible heat wave that plagued the Midwest last week.

As always, take what resonates and leave what doesn’t. 

What advice each sign should ask our resident advice columnist, Sage & Blunt

Libra (Sept. 23 – Oct. 22)

Libras, you should be thriving this month! You’ve been drawing the short end of the stick the past couple weeks but take whatever lessons you’ve learned from that and start applying it to your life. But if you’re still feeling any discomfort, try to sit in it rather than running away from it. Harmony will come because you’ve dealt with it, not because you’ve pushed it away.

Ask Sage & Blunt how you can intertwine your hobbies and passions into a career.

Scorpio (Oct. 23 – Nov. 21)

This month, everything is going to feel like it’s unraveling a little bit when all you want is for everything to be nicely tied into a little bow. Unfortunately, things usually get harder before they get better. Your season is coming, Scorpio, but you’re going to have to traverse some storms until then.

Ask Sage & Blunt about the meaning of life. 

Sagittarius (Nov. 22 – Dec. 21)

This month, you need help putting some discipline in place. Your tendency to lead with independence and follow whatever new adventure or hobby is calling your name has led you astray. You should sit down, lock yourself in Burling and check off your to-do list. (Also, make a to-do list! Not just for your academic tasks, but your job and your personal life). How can you finish everything you need to get done this month?

Ask Sage & Blunt how to stay focused and how to keep your priorities in check.

Capricorn (Dec. 22 – Jan. 19)

Practice being a leader this month. You don’t need to dive right into it, but lay the groundwork for opportunities to step up and run the show. How can you make sure your voice and opinions are heard in the coming weeks? Reflect on what being heard means to you and how you can practice that on a regular basis.

Ask Sage & Blunt how to grow a garden. 

Aquarius (Jan. 20 – Feb. 18) 

Practice using your imagination. Where would you be most relaxed? What is the most serene space you can picture yourself in? Where do you thrive? Indulge in the fantasy of it all. Put these thoughts on paper and make a vision board for your future (especially your dream destinations!). Daydreaming is not a distraction — it helps you find purpose in the day-to-day.

Ask Sage & Blunt for advice on when to buy plane tickets.

Pisces (Feb. 19 – Mar. 20)

Despite everything I said about “cozying up” and “staying in” as winter encroaches on autumn, you need to go out, Pisces. Live this weekend to the fullest extent. Talk to everyone you run into. Don’t pass up any opportunity to party and meet new people.

Ask Sage & Blunt where the party is this weekend.

Aries (Mar. 21 – Apr. 19)

It’s time to focus on how you can slow down this month. Libra season will give you space to focus on relaxing this month. What does self-care look like for you? Who are you when you aren’t working and never stopping to breathe? Which of your tasks do you need to prioritize, and which can you let go?

Ask Sage & Blunt how you can clear and reset your mind. 

Taurus (Apr. 20 – May 20)

Since we are settling into a new season where we often find ourselves stagnant from the perils of winter, it’s the perfect time to get a routine. This routine should bring us joy and comfort. Focus on building a routine that is ambitious but also achievable. Set yourself up for success. Your routine should include moments to just sit and be alone with no obligations rather than back-to-back meetings.

Ask Sage & Blunt what her favorite TV show is – you need a show to look forward to that you can build into your schedule. 

Gemini (May 21 – June 20)

This week, practice a healthy sleep schedule. You can’t complete your work in an efficient manner if you are running on two hours of sleep. Build your schedule around making sure you fall asleep at a reasonable time rather than squeezing in some sleep when you have a free moment.

Ask Sage & Blunt the best way to relieve brain fog. 

Cancer (June 21 – July 22)

Spend this month turning your room into your sanctuary. Your room is going to be a safe haven during these harsh winters. You need a place to call home, otherwise the balance of your life is going to be off. Our physical spaces impact our inner peace. You don’t even need to spend tons of time in your room, but the hours you do will affect you.  

Ask Sage & Blunt for design advice — how to make the most of our comically small dorms.

Leo (July 23 – Aug. 22)

This month, you will find yourself in the spotlight time and time again. Maybe you’re giving a presentation in a class or doing a stand-up set at an open mic in Bob’s Underground. Focus on finding your voice. Do you want to be the loudest voice in the room? Is this something you enjoy? Or is it a burden on your day-to-day life? Try to parse out which aspects of public speaking you enjoy and which you dread.  

Ask Sage & Blunt for some vocal exercises.

Virgo (Aug. 23 – Sept. 22) 

Since we’re getting nice and cozy, why not take this time to practice some new hobbies? Try doing something with your hands (knitting, crocheting, etc.). Let your brain calm down while your hands are busy. Life isn’t supposed to always be go-go-go. Your job is not to criticize everyone around you or yourself.

Ask Sage & Blunt for crocheting patterns and how to practice complimenting yourself.