Column: Conserve water and save baby polar bears

Treehugger, dirty hippie, you know the like: the weird kid in the corner who hasn’t bathed in a long time, eating tofu and wearing hemp. Well apparently they think something called global warming is happening—don’t they know that Inhofe says it’s a myth? Damn hippies—and something should be done about it.

In light of the new presidency taking science seriously and believing that this crazy hippie theory might be true, maybe we should do something about it.

You may not know it, but you are already living relatively environmentally. You live in a dorm (or a house with at least a couple people) and share bathrooms, laundry and really (lets be honest here) don’t have that much space that you can call only your own. But what else can I do as a poor college student you ask?

Simple steps can easily conserve water and water-related resources. Go buy a re-useable water bottle, like a Nalgene, fill it with water and enjoy! Instead of using (and throwing out) multiple cheap water bottles, you get one nice one without wasting lots of plastic and money. Other simple processes can save lots of water too. Turn off the faucet when you are brushing your teeth, shaving in the shower or washing the dishes.

In the shower turn the water on to get wet; turn off to lather up; then turn back on to rinse off. Or even store water in the refrigerator for cold water and buy your Juicy-Juice in concentrate form. It’s the little things that take the extra second that eventually add up to big differences in any type of consumption and waste.

But you may still be asking yourself why should I really care? You should care because baby polar bears are just so darn cute and the thought of them drowning because of melting ice from global warming makes me want to cry. So think about the baby polar bears next time you leave the water on. Or you could shower with a friend and save water … just saying.