QAA is queer and here to stay

Owen Barbato

Three of the organizers for Queer Athletes and Allies. From left: Sophia Carroll `25, Kade Dolphin `24 and Annie Filkins `24.

Marcy Cassidy-Mapp, Staff Writer

Queer Athletes and Allies (QAA) is queer and here, creating a space for LGBTQ+ athletes and allies to connect and build community on campus.

A student-run organization, the QAA leadership team works to promote an inclusive athletic environment for queer athletes at Grinnell College. A previous iteration of the group existed prior to the pandemic — following its recent revival, the group hopes to offer a space where athletes can feel comfortable expressing themselves and building a community outside of sports.

One of the club’s organizers, Sophia Carroll `25, a swimmer, emphasized the importance of the organization in creating a welcoming environment for queer athletes. She said that if she could have joined the organization when she first arrived on campus, she would have had a different trajectory in college, becoming more accepting of herself and her identity.

“I’m from Texas, and I committed myself never to be out or anything, and that was able to change,” Carroll said. “I just think a lot of athletes have a shared experience.”

It’s given me more sense of overall community, like a broader sense of ‘oh, there’s a lot of people at Grinnell who kind of understand what I experience,’ and, I don’t know, it’s, dare I say, life-changing.

— Kade Dolphin `24

Kade Dolphin `24, another swimmer, expressed a similar sentiment, having joined QAA to feel more comfortable with his own identity and to surround himself with accepting and understanding friends. Despite a lack of direct experience with queer advocacy, Dolphin draws from previous experiences with community building through leading youth groups.

“It’s given me more sense of overall community, like a broader sense of ‘oh, there’s a lot of people at Grinnell who kind of understand what I experience,’ and, I don’t know, it’s, dare I say, life-changing,” Dolphin said.

Several of the organizers view the student group as a way of providing guidance and support to their peers. Annie Filkins `24 formerly played on the basketball team and felt isolated in her queer identity on the team.

“My first year, there wasn’t anybody on the team that was queer, and I felt fairly alone even though I had outside friends,” Filkins said. “One of my goals is if there’s someone out there that you know, younger me, trying to try and provide some support and guidance.” 

Filkins’ two years of experience as a co-minister for Student Athletes Leading Social Change (SALSC) have contributed heavily to her organizational mindset and leadership skills, she noted.

“Working with [SALSC] and being a co-minister has been super helpful to get this thing off the ground, by having that organizational mindset and trying to bring some of that here,” Filkins said.

Moving forward, the QAA leadership team is working on finalizing its constitution, and hopes to obtain Student Government Association approval — and a budget — by the start of next year.

To create a visible presence for queer athletes on campus, Filkins, Dolphin and Carroll also plan to expand their reach and impact through tabling and more events in collaboration with other student organizations.

QAA  meets in the Humanities and Social Studies Center room N2118 every Wednesday night at 8 p.m. to study, watch movies, play games and bond over activities together.