Staff Editorial: Remember to practice self-gov

Due to the strong sense of independent thinking at Grinnell, it does not make much sense for our student body to want a high police presence on campus. Certain issues most definitely call for badged intervention, though for everything else we have the accommodating Campus Security and our peer interaction encouraging system of Self Governance.

This past week, when three individuals were arrested for possession of marijuana, we witnessed a clear breakdown in self-governance. Whomever decided to notify Campus Security that there was an illegal aroma floating about Loose Residence Hall could have easily knocked on the door the smoke was seeping from and asked the tokers to stop.

Bringing in police creates unease between the student body and almost everybody else. Student Affairs, Campus Security, faculty and even fellow students appear less trustworthy. In a community as isolated as Grinnell, it seems critical to have as strong of a support a system as possible. Overbearing authority can create a prominent disconnect between students and those meant to help them which can lead to far worse situations than those the patrols are there to handle in the first place.

We can only hope in the future situations that can be solved through simple personal intervention—whether it comes from fellow students, staff, faculty, or administrators—are dealt with without having to bring any outside law enforcement. Let’s do self-gov the justice it deserves.