Freesound hosts The Grinnellian

One of the most anticipated events of the spring semester, The Grinnellian, will finally happen this Saturday, May 4, from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. and will take place outside the Forum, in front of the commencement amphitheater.

This all-campus event is planned and organized by members of Freesound, including Ian Donaldson ’20, Jacey Birkenmeyer ’22, Griffin Mareske ’20 and Saketan Anand ’21. Each year, the group organizes student musicians to fill the evening with a variety of sets. This year, a total of 22 participants signed up to perform at the event.

“It’s the most artists we’ve had in a while,” said Donaldson, who oversees the artistic direction and publicity of The Grinnellian. Of the performers slated to play sets at the event, half are bands while the other half will be solo artists. Since the beginning of the semester, Freesound has been planning Saturday’s festivities.

Mareske, who is in charge of sound, has been in constant contact with a professional recording company who will attend the event.

“I think it’s just nice for student musicians to have the experience of playing with really nice sound, outside,” Mareske said.

These professionals will not only provide them with sound equipment, but will also make an audio recording of all the student performers so they can listen to and share their sets after the event.

While Freesound leads the organizing of The Grinnellian, a variety of student groups have also come together to make it happen. The Grill Club, an aptly-named student group that grills on campus, recently bought new materials which they will use to cater the event.

In addition, the Class of 2021 Ambassadors tabled for the event throughout the week.

“It’s like a culmination of the whole student body, just everyone on campus participating,” said Donaldson.

Apart from music and food, The Grinnellian will have a bounce house and yard games like Cornhole and a giant Sequence.

The students organizing are particularly excited for this year’s event, since alum Jacob Getzoff ’18 is coming to campus and lending his talents to the event. Getzoff performed in The Grinnellian several times while he was a student at the College.

“He’s like a Grinnell legend and he’s coming back to play,” Donaldson said. “I’m also excited because this is the time where a lot of students get pushed to start bands, and it’s cool to see new acts.”

Freesound members Griffin Mareske ’20, Jacey Birkenmeyer ’22, Shanna Kang ’21, Saketan Anand ’21 and Ian Donaldson ’20 are preparing for The Grinnellian. Photo by Montserrat Castro Gomez.