Music SEPC hosts open recital for any and all musicians

Tonight, April 5, the Music Student Educational Policy Committee is hosting an open recital from 7 pm to 9 pm in Sebring-Lewis Hall. According to Anthony Fu ‘19, a member of the committee, the “super chill, no pressure” environment will serve as a space for Grinnell College students to perform anything musical.

Though a variety of student performance events take place throughout the semester, such as the Grinnellian and Showvember, Calvin Tang ‘20, another member of the committee, said that those shows are usually “more for organized bands, people who have maybe done this more than once.” In contrast, the committee aims to make the recital open for individual performers who have not had the opportunity to perform for an audience before.

Committee member Lilya Woodburn ‘20 said that music students who perform in more formal recitals later in the year could use the event as “a practice recital before the big thing.”

“If you just learned how to play ‘Hot Cross Buns’ and you really want to show it off, this would be your opportunity to do it,” she said.

The recital was born of Fu’s idea to have a student composition concert. Since that initial concept, the idea has broadened considerably.

“It doesn’t even have to be music,” Fu said, regarding the types of performances at the recital. “Dance could be a part of it.”

According to Tang, this event, like much of the SEPC’s work, is for the music community in Grinnell, rather than just music majors.

Woodburn said that the amount of work the Music SEPC does with non-majors is “a little strange, because SEPCs usually work within their own department.” She attributed this anomaly to the fact that many non-music majors are involved with the music department through taking free thirty-minute lessons or participating in ensembles like Grinnell Singers, Latin American Ensemble or Fresh Flutes.

“[It’s] only fair that we sort of overstep our boundaries of what the SEPC is expected to do,” she said.

The SEPC has a few more plans in store for the rest of the semester. Currently, the SEPC is in the process of putting up ‘Do Not Disturb’ signs on the practice rooms. The oft-requested project is the result of a student initiative proposed last year and possibly scheduling a study break for those involved in the department.

Tang said that they are also trying to set up a common area in Bucksbaum for students to congregate and a major bulletin board.

Woodburn said that she hopes to “make the Music SEPC a bigger presence than it has been in past years.”

If you are interested in performing at the open recital tonight, scan the QR code on one of the posters around campus and fill out the Google Form.

Music SEPC members Anthony Fu ’19, Sean O’Reilly ’19, Sophie Paek ’19, Lilya Woodburn ’20 and Calvin Tang ’20 organized an open recital on April 5 for Grinnell musicians. Photo by Liz Paik.