Students play in Grinnell summer softball league

By Lily Seibert

seibertl@grinnell.edu

While many students leave Grinnell during the summer months, those who chose to stay in town had slightly more to keep them busy than MAPs or internships. Beginning in June, several students got together and formed two different amateur softball teams, the Armchair Athletes and the GC Flyers, to compete all through August in the Grinnell summer co-ed recreation softball league.

While the GC Flyers was comprised mostly of varsity athletes, the Armchair Athletes had no experience with varsity sports at Grinnell.

The Armchair Athletes played and practiced regularly for eight weeks after compiling their team. “[Thomas Aldrich ’19] posted something on the summer Facebook group, just testing the waters, I guess,” said team co-manager Jacob Friedman ’19. “And there was a huge response of people who were interested in playing … and I had known about this league so I figured it would be a lot of fun.”

In addition to serving as a way for people to get active and fill up their time, team members appreciated the community aspect of their weekly softball events. The Armchair Athletes maintained a regular schedule of practicing every Sunday and playing every Wednesday, making team gatherings a regular part of their social lives in Grinnell. While some came to the group knowing each other previously, it was a chance for others to make new friends.

“I definitely met some students I wouldn’t have otherwise,” said co-manager Hannah Galloway ’19. “It never failed to be a good time and was definitely something to look forward to during the week.”

When not playing at the ballfield, Friedman and Galloway worked together in the College Garden, contributing to a Community Meal sponsored by the CRSSJ. Between their work, sporting events and other activities, the two had booked schedules all summer long.

“Both Hannah and I, who organized the team together, were working in the garden, so we had a lot of time to do lineups and that sort of thing while weeding,” Friedman said.

Team enjoyment was something that Friedman and Galloway strove for in their roles as managers. Although Galloway had played softball extensively prior to coming to Grinnell, most of the other members were fairly new to the sport and brought fresh perspectives to the game. However, their lack of experience didn’t stop them from maintaining a positive attitude and supporting each other throughout the summer.

“Our team had plenty of enthusiasm to both learn and have fun so they were a great group to play with,” Galloway said.

Friedman added that they “were just trying to improve every week” in reference to the attitude that they brought to practices and games.

While the GC Flyers had more collegiate athletic experience, they too were concerned with having fun. The team was made up of mostly varsity athletes and the athletic trainer Jason Kofoot. They took a casual approach to the games, even opting to not hold practices, but rather just show up for Saturday games to have some fun with friends.

“It was pretty casual,” said Cole Riley ’19. “They said at the beginning of the year it could be whatever you want to make of it.”

Amidst the stress and high intensity that goes along with most organized sports, each team of Grinnell students managed to appreciate their experience for the simple joy and sense of community that it brought to them.