Dining Hall recaps Super Bowl performance

Photo by Liam Li. Football shaped burgers are a Super Bowl D-Hall staple.

By Julia Echikson

echikson@grinnell.edu

Two Sundays ago as the Super Bowl was set to begin, a projector screen was installed in the dining hall, allowing students to simultaneously eat and watch the event together. The Superbowl is one of several nights each semester that the dining hall transforms into a themed dinner. Past events have been themed and dedicated to local foods, Halloween, old fashioned candy and holiday extravaganza.

“When we [Dining Hall Staff] pick a theme, we usually stick with that,” said Jeanette Moser, the Associate Director of Dining Services.

Photo by Liam Li

The menu boasted new foods and dishes. The stir-fry section served orange chicken, the Honor G Grill had fried brownies and macaroni & cheese bites with bacon and the salad bar had fresh avocados.

Laura Kaiser, the Assistant Director of Dining Services, added that the foods were ones that “you would find at a friend’s house.” Decorations were also added with footballs and ribbons were hanging from the ceiling.

Because most students eat at the dining hall, the turnout was not larger than regular nights.

“The count was not unusual. It was on the high end, but nothing unusual,” Moser said.

Yet, people stayed longer than on regular nights to watch game. Though the food section of the dining hall closed before the game ended, the seating section stayed open until the end of the game. They also stress that the washing machine breakdown was not linked to the Super Bowl night.

These themed dining hall nights are what Moser calls “monotonous breakers.” In the midst of the repeated menus, the dining hall will offer dishes that are completely different to satisfy students.

“It’s always fun to do a special. People get excited because it’s something different. It’s out of the ordinary,” Kaiser said.

“It’s fun for them and fun for us,” Moser added.

These nights require meticulous planning. Kaiser explains that aberrations in menus demand purchasing, staffing and even venue changes.

“You have to contact your retailers and make sure you can get the products, which are different of what you would normally use. Sometimes, it requires changes in staffing because we might decide have different venues open as it goes more with that theme,” she said.

Despite the popularity of the Super Bowl themed night, there are no plans to show another televised event this year. Upcoming events include a steak night in March, a special salad buffet in April and the ‘Backyard BBQ’ in May.

Moser is “open to suggestions” for themed nights from students. She recommends that they voice their ideas to the Grinnell student union, UGSDW.