Tibatemwa ’18 represents Uganda in Rio Olympics

Tibatemwa carried the flag for his home country, Uganda ,during the Opening Ceremony at the Rio Olympics. Photo contributed.

Steve Yang

yangstev17@grinnell.edu

Tibatemwa carried the flag for his home country, Uganda ,during the Opening Ceremony at the Rio Olympics.
Photo contributed.

Having just returned from carrying Uganda’s national flag at the 2016 Rio Olympics and competing in the 50m freestyle, Joshua Tibatemwa ’18 has taken part in the greatest global sporting gathering in the world. The S&B’s Managing Editor Steve Yang ’17 messaged Tibatemwa to discuss Rio, swimming and his fondest memories of the Olympics.

The S&B: Can you tell me about the Olympics? (Opening ceremony, festivals, Olympic village, other athletes?) What did you enjoy the most?

Joshua: The Olympics were wonderful though from what I heard they were quite different from previous Olympics, probably because they were the first ever to be held in South America. I really enjoyed getting to see just how normal world class athletes are in their free time. [The] Opening Ceremony was unique and quite a spectacle. The warm welcoming nature of Brazilians was by far the best thing about the Games.

How did it feel to represent your country as the flag carrier? Can you describe that moment?

TThe gravity of the situation did not hit me until after the opening ceremony. I did not even know I was going to be the flag bearer until two days prior to the opening ceremony. Thus, despite being slightly anxious I enjoyed myself and just well…waved the flag.

What was it like being among the best athletes in the world? Did you have the chance to watch any other events? Any autographs?

It was a humbling experience to compete against them knowing the kind of effort they put into their events. I did get the chance to watch quite a bit of athletics. No cool autographs to speak of.

What goals did you have before the Olympics? Would you say you met those goals in the pool?

Honestly, my first goal was to simply make it to the Olympics. The second was to do a good time. I was about half a second off my best time so not so disappointing, but I do wish I had cut it down. I still enjoyed myself immensely though.

What swimming goals do you have for the future? Do you see yourself competing in Tokyo in 2020?

To be honest, from this point on I just want to enjoy a normal college swimming experience. It was great to compete at Rio, but it took a lot of mental energy throughout the year, and I figure I’m up for a break. As for Tokyo, who knows. Ask me again in 3 years.

As far as competing as a Pioneer, did travelling to the Olympics change your perspective in any way? How will it impact your upcoming races this season?

One thing I learnt is you can’t rely on strength alone. Technique trumps strength. So I think that’s what I’ll be focusing on this upcoming season.