Spotlight: Kristina Weber ’16

Kristina Weber ’16 transitioned from catcher to designated hitter and pinch hitter after two surgeries. Photo by Alberto Vazquez.

When life throws you lemons, you make lemonade. When life throws you two surgeries and you’re a softball catcher, you change your game and take up a different position, at least for Kristina Weber ’16 of the softball team. The S&B’s News Editor Nora Coghlan ’17 sat down with Weber to discuss injuries, softball and traveling the world.

You played softball and tennis in high school. What made you choose softball in college?

I’ve played softball since I was four years old, like t-ball on, so it has been 18 years. I played softball year-round in high school from like January to November every year, took about a month off, so softball was always my number one sport. I played tennis more so for fun in high school. My whole family plays tennis so I played for them and it was a fun thing, but softball was a little more serious.

What is your favorite part about playing softball at Grinnell?

My teammates, for sure. I’ve got a really great team, I’ve had really great teammates every year I’ve been here. They are a lot of fun to be around and they make the sport really enjoyable.

You’re a catcher, right?

I was a catcher two surgeries ago. This year it’s more pinch-hitting and DHing so it’s a little easier on my body. I’ve had knee surgery and shoulder surgery so [catching] is kind of out of the question.

How has playing in different positions changed the game for you?

It’s made me appreciate the game a little bit more, the complexities of other positions. I’ve played catcher since I was really little and then after surgery I went to other positions to help out the team and it was better on my body. Last year I played outfield for the first time ever, not as easy as I thought it was going to be. [I have] way more respect for those players now than I had before.

Do you have any post-grad plans yet?

I’ve actually accepted a Grinnell Corps postgraduate fellowship here in Grinnell at MICA.

Do you plan on continuing softball at all in your postgrad life?

My body is telling me it’s time to retire but I’ll probably stay involved with the team a little bit and possibly coach younger girls. So coaching more so than playing.

What is your favorite memory of your time on the softball team?

Probably our first win of the season last year. My second year we had a really rough season with no wins, and then our first win last year was a run rule win against Ripon, which is a Conference opponent. We just had a really great game and it was a lot of fun to win.

If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go and why?

Probably New Zealand. It’s so pretty. I have friends who studied abroad there. I’m so jealous, and then Lord of the Rings was filmed there so that’s just an added bonus.