Mick Jenkins gets up close and personal

Mick+Jenkins%E2%80%99+concert+last+Friday+saw+a+big+audience+turnout+and+even+bigger+energy.+Photo+by+John+Brady.+
Mick Jenkins’ concert last Friday saw a big audience turnout and even bigger energy. Photo by John Brady.

Luke Jarzyna

jarzynal@grinnell.edu

This past weekend, Mick Jenkins and Hurt Everybody, two Chicago-based hip-hop artists, performed in Gardner Lounge for a full and excited audience. Jenkins’ appearance followed what has been an exciting spring for the 24-year-old MC. In March, he made waves with a performance at the highly coveted music conference SXSW in Austin, Texas. Although Jenkins typically performs in much larger venues than Gardner, the close quarters of the south campus lounge made for an engaging set.

Many of Jenkins’ songs engage with issues of inequality, justice and truth. Listening to his recorded material, it’s impossible to ignore the fact that Jenkins takes what he does very seriously. This visceral sense of commitment was on full display in his performance and the crowd met him with their own energy, cheering, shouting and applauding, whether prompted or not. A live drummer played along with Jenkins as well, which added texture, energy and urgency to Jenkins’ already massive beats. At one point, Jenkins left the stage to perform in the swirling crowd of students. That moment best exemplified the extent to which the concert was not only a display of some of the best rap music coming out of the Midwest, but an active collaboration between performer and audience.