Grinnell High School superintendent resigns

Louise Carhart, Community Editor

carhartl17@grinnell.edu

The Grinnell-Newburg Community High School will soon begin a search for a new superintendent in light of the recent resignation of Todd Abrahamson. Abrahamson had been the superintendent of the high school for five years previous to his resignation this December.

The Grinnell-Newburg Board of Education has met with various search services to begin the process of finding a new superintendent. As for Abrahamson, many on the board are thankful for his service as superintendent and the manner in which he left the district.

“Mr. Abrahamson was kind to offer his resignation in November as it allows the board to begin searching for a new superintendent in a timely fashion. He did us a great favor by making his announcement at a time that allows us to begin our search at a relatively early point,” wrote Meg Jones Bair, member of the School Improvement Advisory Committee and Board of Education member in an email to The S&B.

During his time as superintendent, Abrahamson implemented the one-to-one program that ensured all students in grades five through 12 in the district received a MacBook to aid in their studies.

“That was a very significant change and improvement for our district in terms of … [leveling] the playing field with all of our students, to make sure all students no matter what background they come from or economic capability of their family have access to technology,” said Barbara Brown, President of the Grinnell-Newburg Board of Education.

Abrahamson leaves the district by personal decision. Brown pointed out the length of the two previous superintendents, who left after five and two years respectively.

“Before that we had Clem Bodensteiner who was with us ten or more years. That model really isn’t effective, people don’t do that anymore,” Brown said. “As much as districts want their superintendent to get in and get going and stay forever because they like the stability, that’s just not what happens.”

Looking forward, the district has chosen to conduct the search through Ray and Associates, a nationwide school executive search firm based out of Cedar Rapids. The Board of Education remains optimistic about the search.

“Our strength as a district is in our very talented and utterly committed teachers and staff who do great work with our students every day.  Our community is a fantastic place to live and work, and will be very attractive to candidates,” Bair wrote.

As a constantly improving and evolving school district, Grinnell-Newburg now has the opportunity to continue their development through the hiring of new talent. Earlier this year, Davis Elementary School was named a National Blue Ribbon school.

“Our goals are always to see student growth and to do what’s best for students and different leadership at different times is going to help us move towards that goal in different ways,” Brown said. “We’re always looking for someone who brings our community together, our community of teachers and administrators and students.”