Hospital Reveals Fred A. Jones Center

Grinnell Regional Medical Center (GRMC) unveiled the new Fred A. Jones Physical and Occupational Therapy Center in the Ahrens Medical Arts Building, an upgrade from the previous physical therapy facility.

The upgrades include expanding the center from 2,500 square feet to 3,600 square feet and creating spaces that allow for more use of equipment and better therapies. The new therapy center also features six private rooms, while previously GRMC physical and occupational therapies were all performed in one larger open space, which will increase the quality of care offered at the center.

“Before, in the old room, we had curtains between patient tables. So that’s no longer an issue now. It’s all confidential and more spacious,” said Tom Gallo, the GRMC physical therapy director.

Physical therapists were consulted by the designers of the new therapy center about how the space could best be changed. According to Gallo, therapists were consulted on everything from where equipment was located to aesthetic choices of wall and carpet color.

Gallo also said that the renovations will allow for more parking closer to the physical therapy facilities, making the center more accessible not only to employees but also to patients who may have difficulty walking long distances to the door.

“The location on the first floor of the Medical Arts building is bigger for the [Physical Therapy Center], but it was not big enough for the Fitness Center. It’s just not big enough to accommodate all the classes and programming and equipment that we wanted to provide for community members,” said Jeanette Budding, the GRMC Assistant Director of Communications and Development.

The GRMC Fitness Center outgrew Medical Arts last October, making room for the therapy center to renovate the space.

GRMC raised funds duirng the Blueprint for Health campaign, which ended in 2003.

The new center is named for Fred A. Jones, who served on the Hospital Board of Trustees and was responsible for the merger of Grinnell’s hospitals, Community Hospital and St. Francis, which formed Grinnell General Hospital. Fred A Jones’ son, Addison Jones, and his family donated $250,000 to the Blueprint for Health program. GRMC solicited the extra money they needed to renovate the therapy center from the community.