Letter to the editor: Bond vote will provide funding to ensure quality education

As you know, the Grinnell-Newburg Community School District will be asking voters to make a significant decision on Tuesday, April 7 regarding the construction of a new sixth to eighth grade middle school and the construction of a new pre-kindergarten through fifth grade elementary school. The general obligation bond proceeds and sales tax will provide the necessary dollars for the district to continue to provide quality educational services for the students in the Grinnell-Newburg Public Schools.

For many of us, our educational experience was in a traditional setting: teacher lectures, papers and pencils, worksheets and desks arranged in straight rows. The traditional setting was and is not a bad educational experience, but the culture of education is changing. Students of the 21st century request and require more innovative and flexible spaces to be more creative. They need to work in teams, collaborate, problem-solve, design and much more. In order to flourish in the 21st century, we need to learn how to change and align to our changing and challenging world.

The school districts that will succeed in this most dynamic world are the ones who will understand and develop the teaching and learning environment which can prepare students for the 21st century. The district is committed to meeting the needs of all learners and preparing them for the world beyond our pre-kindergarten through 12th grade system. School facilities play a significant role in the education of our students in order to meet these challenges.

We believe the district should present the facts in order for voters to make an informed decision. Please visit www.grinnelltigerbond.org or call 641-236-2700 for more information.

Thank you for your continued support of the Grinnell-Newburg Community School District.

Todd Abrahamson

Superintendent

Grinnell-Newburg Community School District