Letter to the editor: National Eating Disorder Awareness Week

Dear Grinnell,

We are excited to announce that we will be recognizing National Eating Disorder Awareness Week on campus. Next week, February 23-27, we will host events ranging from lighthearted body appreciation to more serious conversations recognizing the impact that disordered eating can have on our lives.

The National Eating Disorders Association’s theme for this year is “I Had No Idea.” We plan to explore this theme in a variety of formats and contexts. The ability to both notice and act upon early signs of disordered eating empowers you to support the wellbeing of those you care about. We will host a fishbowl discussion on Wednesday to talk about the different ways that disordered eating can manifest itself. We hope that this discussion will be beneficial to anyone who has been personally affected by disordered eating, either their own or someone close to them, or anyone who would like to learn more. On Thursday, we are hosting a panel where student speakers will share their personal experiences with disordered eating. We look forward to seeing you at these events!

Please visit nedawareness.org for more information about NEDA and disordered eating in general. Feel free to reach out to us with any questions or concerns at [thelounge] or on Facebook by searching Wellness Lounge Grinnell.

Love,

The Wellness Lounge

Daria Brosius ’15, Jenny Dong ’17, Elsa Goldman ’15, Christine Hood ’17, Dana Sly ’15