Large quantity of MDMA confiscated

A recent campus memo sent out on Saturday, Jan. 24 alerted students that Campus Safety and Security had discovered “a large quantity of illegal pills left unattended in a public place on-campus over the weekend,” as Director of Security Stephen Briscoe explained in an email to The S&B.

The pills were identified as the illegal drug MDMA, which is also known as ecstasy or molly. After their discovery was reported, the drugs were confiscated by Campus Security and handed over to the Grinnell Police Department, which confirmed that the drugs were indeed MDMA.

Briscoe wrote that there have been reports of this drug on campus in the past. He added that Grinnell students in possession of MDMA, a Class A drug which can result in a felony arrest if discovered in quantities of three grams or more, can face both campus conduct charges and criminal charges. The memo also noted the various side-effects of taking ecstasy, such as dizziness and sweating, in addition to its frequent use as a date-rape drug.

Briscoe urges students to report the discovery of any such substances in the future, underlining the College’s commitment to campus safety.

“We take the safety of our students and community members seriously,” he wrote. “Students who find this drug on campus, or who have any information about the incident over the weekend, should contact Campus Safety and Security immediately. Privacy and discretion will be assured.”

The Safety and Security Office can be reached at (641) 269-4600.