Swimming and diving take on Florida

While many Grinnellians spent their break binging on junk food and Netflix, members of the men’s and women’s swim teams didn’t get the chance to relax. Fifty swimmers spent eleven days in Florida on a yearly training trip.  The experience provided opportunities for team members to bond and gear up for the rest of the season.   

The team endured practices each morning and afternoon, along with plenty of other events to keep them busy. 

“We don’t practice on the first day we get there, but the next morning at 6:30 a.m. you get on a bus and go to practice from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. and then go back to the hotel … and get on a bus at 3:30 p.m. for 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. practice,” said Aalton Lande ’17. 

When team members were not at practice, they spent their time bonding with their teammates by cooking their own meals in suite-style hotel rooms. The team upholds several mealtime traditions by pairing up with other rooms for dinner dates and hosting themed meals. 

For a few days during the trip, the team took time out to do community service, relax on the beach and attend a luncheon with President Raynard Kington, Grinnell alumni and prospective students.

“The luncheon is my favorite part. The food they have for us is quite amazing. Beach day is also fun. The high points of the trip are not the swimming parts. You’re there for swimming, but when you’re not swimming it feels pretty good,” Lande said. 

It wasn’t all fun and games, however, as both teams also participated in a practice meet against Connecticut College with quite a few swimmers placing high in individual events. 

“Connecticut College is ranked in the top 20 in the country, so we swam against some good competition, but we had one win and some people take second and third so it was cool to swim against that good team and then do so well. It’s always fun to compete … in a less serious atmosphere than when we host big 13 team meets at the college,” said Maddy Pesch ’16.

Moving forward, Pesch feels excited about the team’s improvement and how the strong connections they built will help them with the rest of the season. 

“It’s definitely really hard but there’s a lot of things to look forward to. It’s a good trip,” Pesch said.

Moving forward, Pesch felt excited about the team’s improvement and how the strong connections they built would help them with the rest of their season.

“It’s definitely really hard but there’s a lot of things to look forward to. It’s a good trip,” she said.