Women’s tennis sweeps MWC foes 27-0

Hannah+Cook+%E2%80%9918+and+her+teammates+swept+all+of+their+opponents+last+weekend+in+Illinois.+Photo+by+Shadman+Asif.+
Hannah Cook ’18 and her teammates swept all of their opponents last weekend in Illinois. Photo by Shadman Asif.

The women’s tennis team showed this weekend why it has won the past four Midwest Conference (MWC) championships. The Pioneers played three Conference games against Knox College, Monmouth College and Illinois College and triumphed with a dominating score of 9-0 in all three games. It seemed as if the hardest part of their weekend was the long bus ride to the neighboring state.

After losing to harder teams like Augustana College earlier in the season (7-2), the team was focused and ready to play its MWC opener.

“[The Augustana match] helped us get into the full swing immediately,” said Julia Rumley ’16. “There wasn’t a better school to prepare us for a three-match weekend.”

According to Shirlene Luk ’15, it was beneficial for the young players to get some tough match experience under their belts before facing MWC foes.

“It definitely helped because when I played against Augustana I was very rusty and it was easier this weekend and helped me get into the match mindset,” she said.

As for head coach Andy Hamilton ’85, this year’s first Conference games were especially special.

“We tried to take the mindset that we’re the defending Midwest Conference champions four years in a row and we wanted to make sure that we upheld the tradition of excellence.”

Luk, the number one singles and doubles player on the team, finished off the weekend by losing no more than three games in one set. Hamilton appreciates having such an experienced leader to guide the young team and has full confidence in her.

“It is nice to know that she’s got a chance to win almost every match,” he said.

This weekend, the women’s team will compete in the ITA Midwest Regional Championships with a winning mentality and confidence. The Regionals are individual matches in which singles and doubles players play in a tournament to achieve a regional ranking. Hamilton believes the event will provide valuable experience and test the young squad.

“The regionals are also a good place in which our younger players can play against some really good players,” he said.

Luk, the defending MWC singles champion, will be closely watched by her peers as to what seed she will receive. No matter, Luk is determined to reach further in the tournament.

“I have made the quarter-finals [the first] two years and I’m definitely trying to pass that hunch and make it to the semi-finals,” she said.

womenís tennis sweeps

mwc foes 27-0