Intramurals kick off on Saturday

With the coming of the fall semester, another year of college sports has begun. And for those who want to be or remain active but prefer to keep low level of intensity, intramural sports may be the answer. Welcoming students, faculty, staff and even alumni, intramural sports provide a break from work and studies and an outlet to explore various sports. 

“It’s a fun way to stay active and play sports without competing at such a high level,” said Ben Binversie ’17, co-director of the 2014 intramural sports program. “I’m on the varsity baseball team, but it’s nice to have the ability to play at a lower competitive level, just for fun.” 

Ross Voelker, ’15, the other co-director, agreed that intramurals are for everyone from varsity players to novices. Voelker, like Binversie, is a member of the baseball team, but uses the intramural program to practice other sports he enjoys. 

“It is a good way to have fun while playing the games you played in the past and learn[ing] something new,” Voelker said.

This fall, students will have a range of 15 sports to choose from. They include a one-day event like Rock, Paper, Scissors and a league format indoor soccer. While Tim Hammond, Director of Intramurals, occasionally offer ideas for new sports, the bulk of inspiration comes from the student body, demonstrating the program’s responsiveness to students’ needs and wants.

“We have a golf tournament in October [and] a student suggested the idea. We took it and made it happen last year,” Voelker said. 

Binversie added, “If you need a team for a league, you can sign up with your friends on a team or can sign up individually and we’ll add you to a team.”

No official practice hours are required in intramural sports. While some perceive it as undisciplined, many enjoy the fact that entertainment remains primary aim for the participants. 

“People want to win, but that is not the goal of the sports,” Voelker said. 

Bryan Hernandez ’17, a participant of intramurals, also appreciates the lack of mandatory practices. 

“I really wanted to continue playing soccer but at the same time I didn’t want to devote too much time [to] it,” he said. “It is a nice way of playing with friends and have that bragging right, like, ‘Oh, my team beat yours.’”

Victor Phimphachanh ’18 agrees that the intramural sports program opens up opportunities to not only meet new people but give him a healthy outlet for competitiveness. A platform for people of all age, skill, experience and goal, intramural sports leagues bring the community together. 

“I enjoy the high intensity of the game and love the speed at which I have come to move at is pretty astounding,” he said. “The most important thing for intramurals is bring[ing] a friendly environment because you want more people to enjoy it rather than just yourself.”

Sports Offered

Season Dates

Rock, Paper,

Scissors

Sept. 6

Sand Volleyball

Sept. 9 – Oct. 2

Knockout

Sept. 13

Golf

Oct. 11

Racquetball

Oct. 27 – Nov. 28

Indoor Soccer

Nov. 4 – Dec. 9

Badminton

Nov. 8

Billiards

Nov. 22

Foosball

Dec. 6

For those interested in joining a league, please visit and sign up at www.imleagues.com.