Society of Introverts intermingle

Grinnell students may have seen the posters around campus advertising for the new Introverts Club, formally Grinnell’s Society of Introverts. The group was started by roommates Caitlin Scaife ’16 and Paige Wheeler ’16.

Scaife and Wheeler, who are both self-described introverts, often spend time together in their dorm, where the two are clearly within the same room as one another, but both very much in their own space. That is where the idea for the Introverts Club began.

The concept of the Introverts Club is that it would be similar to sitting alone, but with other people in the room, which would make it more of a motivational space to be productive.

Introverts Club - Eve Lyons-Berg
The Society of Introverts’ meeting.
Photo by Eve Lyons-Berg.

The idea originally came from a friend of Wheeler’s who started an introverts club at Goshen College, a Mennonite liberal arts college in northern Indiana.

“We thought it was a really good idea because, being introverts, it’s kind of hard to go out and join a club after a busy day of going to class,” Scaife said.

Currently, Wheeler and Scaife are primarily concerned with growing the club membership, but both of them have interest in receiving funding from the Student Government Association to have snacks available at their meetings in the future. The two would also like to hold study breaks so that the members do not spend all of their time on academic work. Currently the society has eight members.

“We would like to get more people to come, so we would like to do more advertising,” Scaife said. “We’d like as many as would like to join.”

Wheeler’s end goal is to have the members of this group get to know one another better. Hopefully, this society fosters new friendships between introverts on a campus that is very much driven by social events.

Studying is not the only activity the club is designed for. Wheeler, who views the club as nice relaxing time, spent last week’s meeting reading half a John Green novel.

“The first part of my week is really busy, so by the time I get to Thursday I am super stressed. And so it’s nice to have somewhere to go where I can be with people without any obligation to say much and kind of unwind,” Wheeler explained.

The society meets on Thursdays from 7:30 to 9 p.m. in Smith first lounge.