Capture to Rupture: Students Explore Incongruity in Visual Art

Student installations from several Introduction to the Studio classes are now on display in and around Bucksbaum. The assignment was to make an incongruous piece composed of 100 or more objects, using affordable materials. All photos by John Brady.

Audrey Hart ’17 and MacKenzie Shanahan ’14 created this installation entitled “Paralysis.” It is made of one hundred rubber fish and a single synthetic flower, covered in layers of ice.

“We had trouble because we wanted the ice to freeze pretty clear, and it wasn’t. So, we tried using distilled water,” Hart said.

Inspiration came to them while walking around Walmart when they saw the artificial fish. According to Hart, their piece aims to represent the “duality between a young life, represented by a plastic flower … but it’s frozen in time and also in ice.”

Their piece has attracted confused and inquisitive looks, which is exactly the reaction the artists were hoping for.

Daniel Goldstein ’16, Serena Hocharoen ’17 and Jozi Chaet ’16 titled their installation “Imagine.” They used more than 300 crayons, fishing wire and a boot. The piece succeeds in incongruity with the juxtaposition between a colorful, homogenous ring of crayons and the unexpected boot hanging from the middle.  The choice of crayon as the material was also meant to show playfulness.

This installation was created by Justus Goldstein-Shirley ’16, Rachel Cusick ’17, Samantha Fitzsimmons.