Letter to the Editor: A message from your 10/10 sponsors

Dear Students,

Tomorrow we will celebrate 10/10 on 10/12. 10/10 has been a tradition among Grinnellians for many years now and has a history of being a great time for us to enjoy the fall and the community surrounding our campus. That being said, 10/10 IS A PRIVILEGE. This party has been going strong for so long because Grinnell students have been willing and able to self-govern this party. As participants in the Grinnell community we are expected to take responsibility for our own actions and look out for the actions of others. Last year we had an amazing time and problems that have plagued the party in the past, such as hospitalizations, fines and arrests, were nonexistent. While these measures do not completely reflect the success of the party, they do indicate that we have the power to make this event an enjoyable experience.

The organizers had a friendly meeting with Officer Rod See of the Grinnell Police Department and discussed the take on 10/10 this year from the perspective of the law. He stated that there will be additional officers patrolling the party to assist with 10/10 because of its tenuous history with underage possession and public intoxication. He emphasized in a later email that “We will not be monitoring partygoers, but it is our job to enforce state and local laws. If an officer sees a violation, or you draw attention to yourself by breaking state and local laws, officers will deal with the situation.” As such, students should be keenly aware of their behavior, especially near public areas such as 8th Avenue and Park and East Streets.

As a final note, the organizers would like to ask everyone to be a strong force for the party. The people responsible for the success of the party are the friends and roommates, not the organizers or administration. Please encourage other students and guests to drink responsibly, respect the property of others and remain safe throughout the night. Keep all this in mind and I know we can have an enjoyable 10/10!

—The Organizers