Lynda.com provides online tutorials

By Darwin Manning 

manningd@grinnell.edu

Grinnell has recently unveiled a new online subscription to an educational video website, Lynda.com, that can be easily accessed by the entire campus community. Information Technology Services purchased Lynda in January. It features numerous courses on a wide variety of technology and disciplines, from photography to the latest features of Excel. Additionally, the information is constantly kept up-to-date, which ensures that the skills are current. This subscription, which is available to all community members whether or not they are on campus, is advertised as one that “teaches the latest software tools and skills through high-quality instructional videos taught by recognized industry experts.”

The ITS employees who have introduced this new venture are excited about the potential for learning and assistance it can provide for the College. Obtaining Lynda was an arduous process completed collectively by ITS as they researched what would be the best instructional website and what feedback members of the community had after testing it.

“It was a collective process. Several people in ITS worked on this and demoed it in an open house that we had for the campus to see if this was something they thought would be helpful,” said John Hammond, Information Technology Service Desk Manager.

Lynda has the latest training for nearly any software package, so it should be useful in many divisions of the College. Additionally, it has many features that people going through a training module will want. Though it is expansive in its application, it has a simplicity that will make it very user friendly.

“There are additional resources with each course, such as written directions and some helpful files to use. It’s pretty straightforward once you get into to it,” Hammond said.

Those using Lynda for the first time may find the introductory clip for the site useful.

“Lynda has beginner to advanced courses, so that you can learn at your level. It also allows you to watch complete or sections of courses,” Hammond said.

While the focus of the tutorials is on software, the site also has some variety. Lynda can assist with project management, building materials and resume building. These videos tend to be reliable, as the company hires professionals to make the videos. For instance, well-known photographers will provide photography courses.

“There are many things that students, staff and faculty can use to help them now and later with their careers,” Hammond said.

To sign up, go to:
iplogin.lynda.com