Spotlight: Joey Brown

How do you prepare mentally before a game?

I would say visualization. I’m somebody who likes to picture. Especially because I play forward, I have to put the ball in the net and the day before, two days before, the day of the game, I’m just picturing myself with that position, with the ball, with the goalie in my way, and I have to put the ball in. It’s very much picturing the game, picturing me scoring, hopefully making that happen.

What’s your favorite pump-up song?

It’ll rotate. For a while it was “Take a Walk,” the M Machine remix. Right now, I’m sort of in to Explosions in the Sky, the group.

Photo by Avery Rowlison.

Do you have tension with the goalkeepers? Because in practice you’re trying to score on your own goalie.

Yes, there is a little bit of an ego-battle that goes on between the goalie on our team and me. He likes to think that he’s better than me, which he’s not. It goes back and forth, but it’s all in good fun. And on other teams, too. There are goalies that are very respectful with the forwards. Sometimes you’re really trying to get there and you collide with them and they’re very nice and then there are the goalies who are like “sucks to suck,” or something stupid like that.

If you could be a superstar of any other sport, what would it be?

Great question. Basketball. I have a nasty layup. It is just nasty. I played basketball for three years at my middle school. We were all really short. Probably won a couple games. I don’t really remember how well we did. I think I was point guard or shooting guard. Put me in front of that hoop and I’m right up there.

If you could get the crowed to chant anything during a game, what would it be?

“Go Mulan.” Because I put my hair up in the ponytail, I’ve gotten comments—I wouldn’t say compliments—about how I look like Mulan. I’m embracing that.

What has been your favorite class at Grinnell so far?

Movement for the Performer.

Have you declared a major yet?

No. I’m concentrating in education, but my major is up in the air.

Do you have any ideas?

I’m thinking about English. I’m much more of a contemporary English kind of person. I’m in British Lit III right now, which doesn’t float my boat. We’ve read James Joyce, we’ve read Beckett. I don’t connect with it as well. I like reading it but it’s harder for me to interpret. Probably anyone to interpret. Some people do really well with it, I don’t do well with it.

Favorite book?

Of Mice and Men. I really like that book. Some people hate it.

I hate it.

It’s really hate or love, I think. I really loved it. Maybe it was when I read it. Must have been middle school. But I loved it. That’s the book that comes to mind first. I just re-read Catcher in the Rye, which I love. I have some problems with it, but I still like it. Re-reading it now I like it a little less.

He’s kind of self-centered.

Yeah! He’s a little bit too rebellious. Just like, come on dude. The world’s not all about you. Grow up.

-compiled by Elize-Eve Leas