Letter: Alumni thank [survivors] and call campus to action

To the Grinnell College Community:

As alumni, we have been encouraged by recent discussions of sexual assault and sexual violence culture at the college. For years, this topic has been shoved under the rug, dismissed as something that does not and would not happen at a place as accepting and liberal as Grinnell. But it does happen. And ignoring sexual violence and the culture that facilitates and then hides that sexual violence leads to enormous personal and community harm.

You can see the contours and costs of that harm in each of the wrenching stories published by [survivors] in the previous Scarlet & Black. You can also see it in the misinformation and insensitivity displayed in the online comments on this article and articles like it.

As a community –  current students and alumni, faculty and staff – we must deal with this failure to educate students about the meaning of consent and the prevalence of sexual assault within our small, close-knit community. We must learn to take Grinnell College’s culturally-embedded violence seriously.

With [survivors] leading and the undersigned alumni following, this is a call to action. We believe that the college should do more to educate students, faculty, and administration about sexual violence and rape culture. We must collectively work to prevent rape and sexual assaults.

While the avenues for filing and pursuing a claim of sexual assault seem fairly good in comparison with similar institutions, we believe that a thorough study of these policies and possible noncompliance with current Title IX standards is necessary.

Furthermore, we believe that Grinnell must do a much better job providing information on sexual assault and the meaning of consent during New Student Orientation and throughout the school year.

Last, the college must do a better job of advertising available resources for survivors. We must make support for survivors as easy to access as possible, as soon as possible.

In the following weeks, we plan to more fully analyze current policies and decide upon a good set of short and long-term policy recommendations. We welcome any and all input from current students, alumni and staff.

A key part of this process is understanding that survivor-blaming and survivor-shaming are not only counterproductive but harmful to the Grinnell community and enormously hurtful to the individuals brave enough to come forth and discuss their experiences with rape and assault. Thus, as well as a call to action, this letter is also – perhaps primarily – a huge thank you to those [survivors] who came forward to tell their stories. Thank you for your honesty and thank you for your courage. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Parvoneh Shirgir ’09
Rachel Pierce ’06
Marissa Seko ’06
Laura Shannon ’07
Andrew Cole ’06
Marie Tan Kiak Li ’05
Alexi Brooks ’10
Adrienne Celt ’06
Kendall Hiedeman ’11
Jess Issacharoff ’09
Sarah Goff ’11
Kate Moening ’11
Evan Ferrier ‘08.5
Molly McArdle ’09
David DeGeest ’06
Eleanor Russell ’10
Alanna Nissen ’09
Joshua Tetenbaum ’10
Erin Higgins ’09
Tim Miller ’09
John Bell ’08
Kelly Marie Musselman ’11
Joanna DeMars ’10
Hannah Sagin ’11
Gabriel Tomasulo ’11
Sidonie Straughn-Morse ’08
Lindsey O’Brien ’06
Matthew Nielsen ’10
Harry Krejsa ’10
Freeda Brook ’07
Meredith Nechitilo ’09
Elizabeth Yang ’07
Tasha Popkin ’11
Joanna Winter ’03
Lindsey Taggart ’08
Lily Camp ’10
Alex Cohn ’11
Sara Woolery ’11
Amy Shebeck, ’03
Jaysen Wright ’09
Avram Lyon ’06
Kathleen Murphy-Geiss ’11
Molly Rideout ’10
Nate Kimball ’07
Jess Cheney ’09
James Anthofer ’11
Benjamin (Holcomb) Holquist ’04
Elizabeth Greenberg ’07
Stephanie Swenson ’11
Lawrence Sumulong ’10
Leigh Kunkel ’09
Amy Donahue ’05
Johnny Buse ’11
Andrea Albright ’09
Leah Romanelli ’06
Christian Caminiti ’11
Madison Van Oort ’08
Sarah Mirk ’08
Erin McBurney ’09
Alyssa Mezochow ’11
Em Lawler
Marian Spurgeon (spurgeo1)
Thomas Bateman ’10
Jenny Marion ’11
Caitlin Fuller ’11
Emily Kugisaki ’09
Nora Frazin ’10
Margie Scribner ’10
Esther Howe ’11
Allison Rosenthal ’09
Stephanie Cox ’09
Ryan Carlino ’10
Brock Webb ’09
Amanda Gotera ’09
Jenny Rosenbaum ’07
Alissa Fleck ’10
Camila Barrios Camacho ’12
Lindsay Dennis ’08
Sarah Black ’10
Katie Jares ’07
Jess Egyud ’09
Beth Miller ’10
Spencer Green ’08
Courtney Sheehan ’11
Anand Balasubrahmanyan ’08
Leann Wilson ’07
Aja Saunders ’10
Alex Littler ’10
Erin Daugherty ’09
Gretel Carlson ’10
Rachel Walberg ’09
Timothy J. Hederman ’10
Soleil Ho ’09
Christopher Farstad ’09
Asha Holsopple ’11
Andrea Rissing ’09
Katherine Barbadoro ’10
Virginia Andersen ‘09.5
Danica Radoshevich ’12
Asa Wilder ’10
Kat York ’09
Root (Adam) Barrett ’08
Mark Sullivan ’10
Patrick Waldo ’06
Katherine Jones ’10
Becca Bernstein ’10
Graciela Guzman ‘11.5
Cristina Bernardo ’10
Hannah Caster ’10
Sarah Aswell ’03
Camille Bonham ’10
Sarah Batterman ’06
Felicity Slater ’11
Eleanor Nelson’10
Ian Bishop ’10
Cari Stayer ’10
Alex Schechter ’10
Katherine Rochester ’06
Carly Jerome ’11
Grant Custer ’08
Kate Randall ’08
Nora Skelly ’08
Dayna Hamann ’09
Will Flagle ’09
Rex Unger ’09
Sunanda Vaidheesh ’12
Ethan Struby ’10
Amanda King ’07
Heather Dean ’12
Emily Hainze ’06
Betsy Lorton ’09
Carly Schuna ’06
Katherine Howard ’10
Melanie Echales ’12
Toby Cain ’12
Leah Krandel ’09
Anna Armstrong ’12
Allison Brinkhorst ’11
Janaki Sullivan ’07
Caitlin Deutsch ’12
Maia Pillot ’12
Elizabeth C. Lay ’06
Alisha Saville ’09
Kerry York ’10