Day in the Life: Leah Reuber, Jamaland Residential Life Coordinator

Photo by Sno Zhao

6:55 a.m.—Woken up five minutes ahead of my alarm by my cat, Wilma Jean, who alerts me to her hunger by walking across my face two to three times.

7:30 a.m.—Wilma Jean is fed, first and foremost, and then I figure out my breakfast situation.

Photo by Sno Zhao
Photo by Sno Zhao

8:00 a.m.—Makeup time! My favorite part of the day. Most of the time I make an effort, some days I can’t be bothered. You can tell exactly which days those are.

9:00 a.m.—I step into my office and check my emails. Wilma Jean hops in her perch by the window and stares at me with so much disdain.

11:00 a.m.—Lunch in the Dining Hall. I approach with healthy intentions but end up with something covered in cheese.

12:00 p.m.—I stop by the DSA [Division of Student Affairs] suite to check my mail, make copies, grab any supplies for new bulletin boards and raid the numerous candy bowls.

2:00 p.m.—Head back to my office and find Wilma Jean standing in the doorway, filled with palpable sadness and despair because she hasn’t eaten in a few hours. Once she has been fed she proceeds to ignore me for the next five hours.

2:03 p.m.—Meet with students and staff members throughout the afternoon to check-in on life, academics and community, etc.

5:00 p.m.—Naps are for everyone.

6:30 p.m.—Dinner and a horror movie. I have quite the illustrious cinematic portfolio.

8:30 p.m.—Feed Wilma Jean, convince myself she loves me and take off my makeup masterpiece for the day. What a waste.

9:30 p.m.—Crawl in bed, let Wilma Jean walk all over me until she gets comfortable and don’t move so she doesn’t get upset.

12:00 a.m. —Finally fall asleep.

2:00 a.m.—Duty phone rings. Fumble around for warm clothes, car keys and duty bag. Wilma Jean is pissed that she has been disrupted.

2:30 a.m.—Write a report regarding duty call before I forget details. Wilma Jean is still pissed. Give her sympathy treats.

3:00 a.m.—Back to sleep. Dream about horror movies.