Break-ins Continue

By Carl Sessions 

sessions@grinnell.edu

A student living off-campus was robbed for the third time. Marcus Eagan ’12 discovered the most recent break-in after returning from Thanksgiving break.
The first two times, items from Eagan’s roommate were stolen. After the second theft, the two talked to their landlord, who fortified the door.

“I thought that the adjustments that the landlord made would prevent trespassers,” Eagan said. “But they were innovative and found a new way to break in.”
Eagan believes the door was pried open, because he discovered a screwdriver near his door and a side panel was ripped off. Speakers and videogames were stolen from his room.

Theft at Grinnell this year is at an all-time high. There have been close to a dozen break-ins on and off-campus.

“I was mildly concerned with the thefts on campus,” Eagan said. “But then my house was broken into, and it bothered me…I would say now that I’m irate.”

After the third break-in Eagan’s roommate moved out all of their stuff. They are now living at a different location.

Eagan has a message for those who wronged him.

“If you’re stealing something, don’t you lose a lot of the joy of the material because you didn’t earn it? How much fun will a videogame be that you didn’t work for? If I could say one thing…turn yourself in.”