This week in SGA Oct 31

SGA Joint Board followed the script of a western this week, with a showdown centered on justice, specifically Grinnell’s Social Justice Symposium. The heated discussion featured commentary on almost every aspect of the prize, from the quality of its advertising to the appeal of its winners. Much of the debate focused on a lack of student participation in the event.

“Grinnellians just don’t give a damn, as much as we think we do, about Social Justice,” said Senator Tom Van Heeke ’12.

Some senators felt that student interest would be higher with better advertising for the prize, with more interaction between the award winners and the student body. However, Vice President for Academic Affairs Wadzi Motsi ’12 stated her opinion that the advertising was sufficient—the real problem is student apathy.

“We’re not here just to do our work. Our education is more than that,” said Motsi. “We need to take advantage of these opportunities, because these people are changing the world.”
“This is a school of leaders. We don’t want future leaders to be the people who can’t take the time to read a sign about justice,” said Senator Sam Mulopulos ’14. “Whatever career we choose, it should be our responsibility to mold that career to benefit other beings. Human achievement is the greatest force in the universe.”

Vice President of Student Affairs Chris Dorman ’12 jumped to the defense of the student body, explaining that Grinnell was the school of Henry Hopkins, the behind the scenes architect of the New Deal, not Franklin Delano Roosevelt—many students have very different priorities.
Before the debate became too heated, President Gabe Schechter ’12 told the dueling sides to holster their pistols and move on to other business.

From now on, professors will not be receiving notes from SHACS about visits to their facilities during class times. Students will have to tell their professors directly. The Cabinet and senators pointed out that this change will require both trust from faculty and responsibility from students in order to be successful.

After a week of thefts and arrests, Dorman discussed his Know Your Rights Campaign and campus security. SGA will be monitoring progress on catching the thieves and educating the student body on their rights.

“While self governance is love, some people love money more,” said Senator Max Ferrell ’14.
Three budgets were approved by Joint Board, including Drag Show, which requested $360 but received $369.

To close the meeting, the schedule of upcoming concerts was presented, and Peter Aldrich ’15 was confirmed as presiding officer for next week’s meeting.